Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A head scratcher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: A head scratcher

I was suppose to go out shooting this morning, but came down with some nasty bug last night and in no way did I feel like dragging all my stuff out to the hot desert. So if all goes well today and I feel better will go out tomorrow morning, will test what I have loaded and see if that made any difference, if they are still very large groups will take some pictures and post them for everyone to comment on.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
I was suppose to go out shooting this morning, but came down with some nasty bug last night and in no way did I feel like dragging all my stuff out to the hot desert. So if all goes well today and I feel better will go out tomorrow morning, will test what I have loaded and see if that made any difference, if they are still very large groups will take some pictures and post them for everyone to comment on.

Hi freebird,
How Hot is it in your neck of the woods ?
I've just went down the same road your going down with my 300 RUM shooting the 210 Bergers . I was trying to get all of the MV that I could . I eventually got tired of big groups running mock ten. So I went back and loaded my best but not the fastest load and tried it out to 333 YRDS and it performed well for me. I had two good loads so i'll share them with you if thats okay.

1. 85.5 grains of retumbo .020 off the lands fed 215m primer 333 yrd 3 shot group measured .619

2. 87.0 grains retumbo .020 off the lands fed 215m primer 200 Yrd 3 shot group .730

The temperature was 93 degrees the time of day was One o clock .

Have you tried some low powder charges yet ? I agree with alot of folks on this site when they say that the faster you can run them the better but i just cannot reach the same accuracey potential with my rifle running them fast.

Good luck.

BigBuck
Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

The hottest I have ran was 94gr retumbo and at 100 yards was getting great groups and that was .030 off the lands. So I have reduced my powder and have loaded some up at the lands, .020, .040, .060 and .080. Just for grins I loaded some 200gr sierra matchkings to see how they do and have also played with 208gr A-Max. I really don't want to go below a 200gr bullet. I am trying not to get into the mind set of shooting 168gr bullets at 3500fps. I want a bullet that will travel a long ways and be very very accurate too. I don't know of any animal that can outrun a 210gr berger traveling at 2900-3000fps.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Freebird,
What weight are you loaded at with the Bergers on the lands?
It seems you are over pressure.
How I approached load developement is I first find my pressure point with the bullets seated on the lands, then work from there .
Go back to square one and load up some cases in half grain increments until you know where you start experiencing pressure signs.
I look for ejection marks, stiff bolt, measure the base of the brass for expansion no greater than .004, ect.
Then back off from that point and fine tune your accuracy with seating depth.
Retumbo and H1000 are both good powders for the RUM.
Also, when you resize your fired brass, take a piece that is chambering kind of stiff due to headspace. Run your sizing die down in your press to where it just bumps the shoulder enough to chamber that round easier. At that point you have bumped the shoulder. I would not use the brass you have that you described earlier .
Old 07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Freebird,
What weight are you loaded at with the Bergers on the lands?
It seems you are over pressure.
How I approached load developement is I first find my pressure point with the bullets seated on the lands, then work from there .
Go back to square one and load up some cases in half grain increments until you know where you start experiencing pressure signs.
I look for ejection marks, stiff bolt, measure the base of the brass for expansion no greater than .004, ect.
Then back off from that point and fine tune your accuracy with seating depth.
Retumbo and H1000 are both good powders for the RUM.
Also, when you resize your fired brass, take a piece that is chambering kind of stiff due to headspace. Run your sizing die down in your press to where it just bumps the shoulder enough to chamber that round easier. At that point you have bumped the shoulder. I would not use the brass you have that you described earlier .
Good advice..

I got pressure signs @ 91.5 grains of retumbo doesn't mean you will but just an example as to how everyone's guns are a little different.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

My pressure signs don't start until I hit 95gr retumbo. The same with H1000. As for RE22 and RE25, the grains are smaller. I had tried ramshot magnum and it had mega pressure, I got rid of it in a hurry. I also tried some IMR 7828SSC, got some good groups at 100 yards.
Tomorrow will show alot. I had heard that the IMR 7828 is quite accurate in the 300RUM. I am still needing a new trigger for my gun. As soon as I can round up enough for a timney. I believe that has something to do with my groups also.