Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Has our board been taken over by a flurry or newbie morons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Has our board been taken over by a flurry or newbie morons?

BRIT and all

I don't believe this thread was initialy started about ALL newbies but rather the ones that forget why this site exists and what's it's all about. An initial (1st) post the something it TOO FAR is not a really good start, that's how I take the "moron" comment.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Jerry,
You got me there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Nothing like shrapnel-spray to wreck a rascally varmint's day!
Been a crazy summer so far, the steel is relatively unblasted because of too much travel. Got to fix that shortly - sure too bad you live so far away!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Hi All

I guess I'm considered a moron FNG. Mostly I'm a mid range and long range service rifle shooter. I'm decent at what I do. I enjoy bowhunting mostly but I'm also getting older and have started going back to the rifle to accomplish some of the things that I might never get done with a bow. Lots of times I'll bowhunt till the last minute and then borrow a rifle if needed. I'm giving a bit of background because I'm brave enough to print a few thoughts. Mostly this comes from all of our competitive high power forums.

First, bragging gets you no where with anyone. Those of us that have done it, have done it. Make the statement and then leave it alone. You are respected by those of your peers. And don't fall into the baiting scheme.

Second, don't get into brawls over subjective stuff like BCs, MVs etc.... On any given day we can come up with any number of figures of either. They may all be right or wrong. And since 100 fps or a few points BC won't make much if any difference in the outcome, its not needed to fight to death over that.

Third, those that say you can't shoot that far, we simply need to explain the intent. I can't shoot as far as most of you can. I can stretch mine to about 1K on good days. But most of you can torch that. The parameters that no one can complain about are much like self imposed limits that the best bowhunters use. If you can stick 5 of 5 into the kill zone size target at XYZ yards, then thats your max distance.

Lastly, forgive me, because I do not like Ballistic tip bullets, though they are getting better by the day. I dont' like the use of hollow points on game since ballistic hollow points are found unexpanded in our target impacts everytime I go to the range. I think that and being pro X type bullets are about my only faults [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Great sight! Lots of great info. Glad I found it somehow last year. Now back to working on my blackpower long range stuff.

Keep after the sight, patrol it, dont' allow the ******* contests between anyone(old or new- best person here or plain FNG) and you'll come to the top. The rest of the sites will kill themselves.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

FAQ, or an archive is a good idea.

I have a board using version 6.3.0. for about a year and a half, now; which was an upgrade from a previous format. Some guys never made it to the newer version, for various reasons; such as, they had to reregister, etc.

But, if this version of UBB is very much like mine, and it looks very similiar, then an archive is not possible?

Whatever changes are required, you should understand that a good number of the members will not like it. People get familiar with a format and the navigation, and don't want it to change, even for good reasons.

But, the original question.

If you had total agreement, there would be virtually no activity. Newbies contribute by smoking out the guys that know everything, otherwise the old timers wouldn't have a lot to say. And, that is what the attraction is all about, stimulation; an exchange of ideas. If the dialogue gets so coded that only a precious few know what they are talking about, well; if you ask me, it gets a little boring sometimes.

So, rather than berating the troll, (as you call them) assume he has an honest opinion and bury him with respect.... and data.

Asking him to leave because he is unworthy is counterproductive, in my opinion.

Okay, so I'm new here, but do not assume I'm a newbie, and as you might expect, I have opinions and I'm willing to share them with intelligent people.

Good hunting. LB
Old 07-23-2004, 09:30 PM
PUBLISHER

LB

We'll be going to the "Threads" version of Infopop's software. I don't know if it allows an archive but we'll figure out something regardless.

Welcome

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors