Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Has our board been taken over by a flurry or newbie morons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Has our board been taken over by a flurry or newbie morons?

I must say, I took a few months off this board simply due to lack of time and came back to a very different place. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Not that big a deal, the new people just need to look at the URL and realize that what's fine and ducky at 250 yds isn't what this board was created to talk about.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:59 AM
Silver Member

FNG's go with the territory, they'll either learn or leave. Sometimes a solid kick in the head will clear their field of view and so the gospel will spread. Learn to live with it.

I watched a not too different and repeated saga at 'yoteGods.com wherein the site owner suffered great angst regarding the lack of courtesy from new members. He had several forums devoted to FNG's, one explanatory, another a bit sarcastic and condescending. If you wish to turn this site into a private club for simpering sychophants then follow in John Henry's foot steps. There are many versions of the truth, and you never quite know when yours may be changed by an unexpected bump. I've heard it said that one does not truly understand something until they can teach the subject, and I have to agree. Education is the essence of web sites. It doesn't have to be liberal or gentle...
Old 07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Writers Guild

Appreciate the supportive comments. The whole point of this and any discussion site is to be able to share ideas. Whether one agrees or not is really not the point. The site should provide information that is representitive to the interests or subject matter. Mine is better then yours just goes no where.

So let's set up a permanent post to explain the focus and viewpoint of this board. AND provide the FAQ section so that newbies can get the answers easily. The same questions are asked continually so this will stop any repeated answers and makes for great reference anyways.

That way the topic sections can be used for discussion, not necessarily "teaching" (that probably didn't come out right).

The more accessible the info, the more open and accurate, the more we can dispell many of the myths and concerns and get more shooting Long Range responsibly.

I hope to have similar info available if and when my website is finished. Taking a lot longer then I had thought.

Len and Dave, back to you...

Jerry
Old 07-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

My wife is convinced that I am a practicing moron and compared to many guys here I consider myself a relative newbie - so be it. i enjoy sharing knowledge and ideas and get a lot from you guys. Bottom line is that the reason this site works is because the guys who post do so with civility to each other. You guys have just given Len some great feedback and I am confident that we will continue to see the site improve.

For the new guys - a while back I was granted permission to edit out crap (only Dave and Len, the real computer guys had it before). This is like giving a Saturday Night Special to a half-wit who suffers from severe muscle spasms in his hands. Unfortunately I do not always hit the correct buttons, but I can and will use this awsome editorial power.

I have one rule that I work with - if I see something obnoxious I will nuke the post. Might not even discuss it with Len or Dave. I was granted this awsome power and have only used it once or twice (once was a miss-fire and I nuked a good-guy but he understood [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

Let's talk long range guys, did I mention that I recently shot a very small prairie dog (still had mother's-milk on his lips...) at 660 yards and won a rifle?
Old 07-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

I used to post over at CoyoteGods until i got flamed of by JohnHenry saying that my blue heeler did not run down and kill a coyote. Well he did, and that sight sucks now. They have a dozen regulars that occasionally post. Newbies do come with the territory but we have to be careful in how we handle them. I don't want to see this site end up like CoyoteGods. Keep an open mind and welcome new ideas.....while tactifully reminding 'em that this is LONGRANGE hunting.

Ian....which one was you aiming at? Momma or the pup? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

BEING A NEW MEMBER MYSELF I HOPE I WILL NOT FALL IN TO THE MORON CATEGORY.IF YOU SEE ANY OF MY QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS PLEASE GO EASY ON ME.I AM NEW TO LONG RANGE HUNTING AND ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECIEVED.PS. I AM ENGLISH BUT DONT HOLD THAT AGAINST ME. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Writers Guild

Chris, actually, it was the steel gong a little to the left.

Sorry Ian, couldn't resist :-)

Jerry