Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hard to believe story...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Silver Member
Well now gentlemen! let's give the guy the benefit of a doubt. That's not the way we treat our new member, are we?. By the way welcome to LRH DW1. P.S tell us more about hunting in the Black Continent.
To achieve the maximum possible accuracy, all variables must be remove or at least minimize.

Unread 12-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member
I have shot a lot of long range guns...from 'Nam to Africa,
So when were you in RVN? What unit were you with? Where did you operate? What rifle did you use? Where were you trained? Who trained you? How many kills did you make? What were the ranges of your kills?

You have made a claim that puts you in a particular group of people yet you seem very unaware of basic fundamentals that people in that group would know. You can go up on the front page and find out who I am and what I know about "long range guns from 'Nam".
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by deepwater1 View Post
...just had a fellow on another forum (unrelated to hunting) brag about shooting an elk at 1100meters with a 300 ultra-mag. I have not shot an ultra. I have shot a lot of long range guns...from 'Nam to Africa, to hunting in N. Mex, Co, etc. I would never attempt a shot like that. Just too many variables. Plus, where's the "hunting"? If he had a guide, I can't believe a guide would allow a client to take a shot at that range.
I'm about to jump on him, but, I thought maybe some of you may have dropped an elk at Looong range. Ideas?
I'm confused, you're here on this forum, but you dont expect to see long range kills???

NRA Life Member
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Silver Member
I had a similar conversation with a guy at work. He thought that it wasn't exactly hunting to take a shot at these ranges and that there were way to many varriables that can affect a shot at these distances. The cool part is that you can account for these varriables. If you account properly, the shot can be made very effectively. I also think that saying that taking a long shot is not hunting is wrong. It is like saying that boxing is not fighting simply because you beleive that the only way a person could effectivly fight is brazillian Jujitsu style. they are both fighting they just take a different approach to it. I also had a person tell me that they were a marine sniper and have made shots on humans out to 1500 meters and gave me a bunch of credintials and then proceeded to tell me that taking a shot past 500 meters on game was just unethical. My question for him was, why is it so ethical to shoot a person at 1000+ meters but not on animals. My philosophy is, if the shot can be made, then take it.
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Gold Member
Why are we jumping down the guys throat?

The guys has 3 posts here. Maybe he DID come here to ask a question?

Goodgrouper said the guys a troll and now everyone has to grill him to find out if he is or not.

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But, if the question is answered knowledge is shared by those who want and need it.
Member 7MM STW Club
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Bronze Member
Let's cut the guy some slack. Before I got into precision shooting I would have said B.S. too. I have taken friends to the range, including former military and police sharpshooters and watched their jaws drop when they see me shoot 1-hole (100 yard) groups. They don't say B.S. anymore, they say "I gotta get me a rifle like that and learn to shoot it that good".