Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hard to believe story...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Silver Member
must be a jerry springer fan

Last edited by Dead Beat; 12-09-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Unread 12-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
I know what the sign says but, there are some that can and have done it at twice that far.....
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Unread 12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
AJ, and others,

Sorry for jumping in with a question that sounded so much like a troll. We were having a discussion on another forum based on a video that someone posted of an archer squaring off against a cape buffalo. He did not take a shot. So, someone mentioned safety vs bragging rights. This fellow ups with his 1100meter elk kill.
He continues with "You have to understand that the 300 ultra has the same weight 30 caliber bullit as the normal 300 win mag but its velocity is around 3 times that of a normal 300 win mag. It works on the same principal as the .223.
This kills with impact, penetration is not as inportant."
I'm just trying to figure out what planet he is from. I've shot .300's and .338's, .375's, most of the .400's, and a friggin' .600nitro. Show me a bullet that travels 3 times faster than a .300 and I will show you a bullet that is all wet and icky when it leaves the barrel.
Anyhow, to me. I have hunted for over 50 years, if I figure starting on squirrels and rabbits at age 10. I have killed all three American deer, one lone black bear, American variations of hogs, peccary, javelina, wild boar, etc, one mountain goat. I've always enjoyed varmint hunting and have killed a reasonable number of varmints (I include feral cats, here). My favorite hunting is still upland birds--more specifically quail. I've trained bird dogs for almost 40 years, off and on. While working in S. Africa and Rhodesia, I killed a variety of animals, including one lion and two capes. That's why the video was so interesting. I killed one Cape--hunter style. The other I hit with a BMG because he was going to gore one of my scouts. Not a fair fight, but I did not have time to be fair. In my youth I bow hunted, but I have a fairly bad case of pronator teres syndrome, so pulling a bow is now out of the question. Hell, I spent an hour and a half at the range yesterday with handguns and my arms are sore today.
You have to understand that the time period I was raised in you COULDN'T take some of the long range shots you do today--the equipment just could not do it. I am rather interested in the long range stuff. The only really long range targets I've ever engaged were human--and they taste awful.
I am also an excellent cook. So, while hunting is fun, eating can be even more fun, sometimes.
Can you imagine, if you even remember him, what Jack O'Connor would say about a 1000 yard shot? Or, for that matter, any other writer, or sportsman, from the 60's or 70's? Whew..Not to be repeated, I'm sure. I use to compete in 1000 yd military style matches, but had never considered shooting game at that range. So, I'm a complete newb, here.
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Silver Member
there are 5 deer in north America
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dead Beat View Post
there are 5 deer in north America
Not when I was growing up. There were white tails, black tails, and Muleys. Those three I've killed. I am aware of variations of those three.
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Silver Member
Hey Deepwater, this is really getting good.

How did you get access to a Browning Machine Gun to shoot that Cape Buffalo off your scout in Africa? Were you military? CIA? Black Ops?
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Why dont you change your name to DeepShit cuz you just stepped in it.Who gives a crap what Jack O would say,he never printed anything that wasnt financialy backed by a corporate sponsor of some kind,if the shot was made with a "insert rifle manufacturer paying Jack O here",he would talk about how amazing it was and how it was only possible due to the superior manufacturing process and research that he himself had conducted.Everyone here knows the shot you asked about is possible and has been done by more than a few long range shooters,the amount of time and work it takes to become a proficient enough hunter to make this shot with this meduim bore round is extensive,they spend far more time and effort than 90% of the average hunter does making sure they can kill at this range.You wanna talk about ethics?Why dont you worry about the guy that NEVER gets to the range and hopes his rifle is still zeroed from a few years back when he bought it.

Last edited by NONYA; 12-10-2007 at 12:08 AM.