Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hand position while shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hand position while shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySes23 View Post
I agree with that completely. I can't shoulder my rifle at the bench or at 100 yards, my heartbeat will take the crosshair 1-2 inches off the bullseye. At 200 yards or further, it get very bad. I've had an unusually strong heartbeat all my life.

Spencer
Same here. Without a rear bag or using my fist as one I have to try to time my shots between heartbeats or right as it falls back on target after one. If you have a naturally slow heartbeat that's not too hard but I run a little fast these days so as I get older it's much more of an issue.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Same here. Without a rear bag or using my fist as one I have to try to time my shots between heartbeats or right as it falls back on target after one. If you have a naturally slow heartbeat that's not too hard but I run a little fast these days so as I get older it's much more of an issue.
I've exercised most of my adult life. I spend 50 minutes & 12 miles on an exercise cycle 6 days a week. I'm 73 now & my pulse is from the mid 50's to low 60's. I'd ride longer, but my ass gets sore & my feet swell up. Then I have to prop my legs up for an hour while the swelling goes down. Five years ago, I could do 70 minutes a day. I wish I could buy new parts. On the plus side, I can buy just about anything I want within reason, but I'm such a tightwad, it takes me months to finally make a purchase.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySes23 View Post
I've exercised most of my adult life. I spend 50 minutes & 12 miles on an exercise cycle 6 days a week. I'm 73 now & my pulse is from the mid 50's to low 60's. I'd ride longer, but my ass gets sore & my feet swell up. Then I have to prop my legs up for an hour while the swelling goes down. Five years ago, I could do 70 minutes a day. I wish I could buy new parts. On the plus side, I can buy just about anything I want within reason, but I'm such a tightwad, it takes me months to finally make a purchase.
Well break out the piggy bank and buy a better bicycle seat!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Well break out the piggy bank and buy a better bicycle seat!
I did that a couple of years ago & it helped for a while, but it's either getting bad or my ass is getting more tender. mebbe both.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

My non-trigger hand rests under the buttstock. I have a butt bag attached to the sling so I can position it under the buttstock and I use my non-trigger hand to increase/decrease the height and general position of the butt bag by squeezing it as necessary. The butt bag measures 2x4x6 inches so I can select the side that best suits the basic requirements for height and "squeeze" to make fine adjustments.
I also "load" the bipod slightly, putting only the slightest forward pressure on the stock to set the legs of the bipod before the shot.
I do not grasp the stock with my trigger hand. The thumb of my trigger hand lays alongside the stock to prevent any possibility of putting even the slightest torque on the stock during the firing sequence.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

A while back I was watching a YouTube video of a bench rest shooter using a technique I'd never seen before. But I keep forgetting to try it.
He'd put his forefinger on the trigger like everyone else, but he did something interesting with his thumb.
Using his thumb on the same hand as his trigger finger, he placed it behind the back of the trigger guard. He then squeezed his thumb and forefinger together instead of just squeezing the trigger as most normally do. I watched it about 20 times & concluded, the pressure should the same from opposing sides of the trigger & shouldn't cause any unwanted movement.
I've yet to try this myself, but I have high hopes it will make my trigger pull or squeeze more consistent.
If anyone has tried this or tries it before I do, I'd like to hear their opinion of how it works for them.

Spencer
Old 05-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

doesn't matter to me if it's 100 yards or 1500 yards right hand on the trigger and stock, and left hand squeezes the bag.
I don't have the heart beat issue that others do I guess I might be dead. guns on shoulder light cheek weld but don't have that issue.