Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hand position while shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hand position while shooting

I have a speed screw on my front rest so my left hand is on that. It has been my observation that the more contact you have with the rifle, the less acuracy you will have because it will be harder to be consistant.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Take a blank and fold it a couple of times and place under your bi-pod. My really settled down.
I'm assuming you mean to put a blanket under the tripod. I'll have to try that.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSickle View Post
I'm assuming you mean to put a blanket under the tripod. I'll have to try that.
Yep... blanket, I was distracted when I was typing. Kids will do that to a guy. I let my bi-pod just rest on it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi3006 View Post
I put my hand around the top of the bipod, by doing this I can spot my own shots, this is with an un-braked 10 lb 7mm mag.

Stu.

I think it really depends on caliber, load, shooting position, and rest. I have a 260 that I can lock my nondominant had around my rear bag. I can't spot my shots yet but the POI is at the POA.

However I also have a 7mm with a 26" tube that weighs 14 lbs. It is a two hand gun for sure. I put moderate reward presssure on the forend with the nondominat hand(left) and really try and hold on. With my 180 Berger load you really have to hold on. It is a steady 1/2 MOA gun. I've tried all ltypes of different holds and with my rest (cheap caldwell front rest and rear bag) that somewhat resembles what I would shoot with in the woods I have to put two good hands on the gun.

Just my 2cents.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Muzzle jump is affected by a combination of load power( heavy bullet/ high velocity), weight of the rifle and balance (some guns are heavy but balance near the bolt head, others with real fat barrels might tip a little ways out the fore-end) and especially stock shape: the more drop at the comb the greater the tendency for the muzzle to fly up, the straighter the comb the less so. I have three rifles (and a fourth collection of parts not yet assembled) where I replaced factory stocks that had an inch or more of drop with laminates that have a straight comb that just barely allows the cleaning rod to run back and forth without dragging the stock too hard. The lower boreline relative to your shoulder, the more comfortable the rifle is in recoil. I never put pressure on the fore-end in any deliberate manner, not even when shooting offhand-the rifle sits on my fingertips under the magazine floorplate, no actual gripping whatsoever. For me "free-recoil" is the most consistent way to shoot. Never rest the rifle on anything hard, either. If the ground is really hard and dry, I put my pack under the bipod legs to pad things. I use my hiking poles as shooting sticks for sitting or kneeling shots, and the rifle rests on the wrist straps looped together, allowing the sticks to move a little during recoil so there is no bounce. If your point of impact changes from one shooting position to another, it usually means you got the rifle against something too solid in your support mechanism. I see people shoot using the non-trigger hand to hold down over the scope, or worse yet over the barrel. NEVER touch the barrel during a shot! Any other active pressure is too hard for me to keep consistent, so the only conscious pressure in my positions is the gentle rearward pull of my trigger hand keeping the recoil pad tucked into my shoulder pocket, and I emphasize GENTLE pressure, fingers only, not with the fist. If your gun seems to jump excessively, also take a look at the overall position of your body. The more squarely you are behind the rifle, the straighter it and the bullets will travel. If the rifle doesn't recoil straight back, the bullets don't have much hope to go straight forward either. Darryl Holland has a good video on body position and recoil tracking that is worth a look.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf18 View Post
I was just wondering where everyone puts their non-trigger hand while shooting. I am curious because I notice most long range people put it under the buttstock or on the rear sand bag. Whenever I try to do that, the barrel jumps a whole lot. I have been putting it in the front and pulling it into my shoulder for a nice tight fit...just not so tight that I am shaking. Just curious and looking for ways to shoot even better than what I do now. If you do put your hand in the back, how do you prevent muzzle jump?
Generally nothing unless it's cold.

Shooting with the off hand under the butt you won't control muzzle flip to any significant degree other than the weight of the rifle itself working with gravity unless you add a good brake.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrschmitt View Post
I have a speed screw on my front rest so my left hand is on that. It has been my observation that the more contact you have with the rifle, the less acuracy you will have because it will be harder to be consistant.
I agree with that completely. I can't shoulder my rifle at the bench or at 100 yards, my heartbeat will take the crosshair 1-2 inches off the bullseye. At 200 yards or further, it get very bad. I've had an unusually strong heartbeat all my life.

Spencer