Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Which hand held and ballistic program?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Which hand held and ballistic program?

I'm in the market for a hand held and ballistic computer to assist my LRK. I have searched and read many of the post about this topic but still not sure which one to pick. Many of the posts were a year or two old and there might be something newer out there. Is upgrading to a "smart" phone worth it? Or should I go with a PDA/pocket PC and the Nightforce program? Has anyone used the Mobile Ballistics Solution sold in the Gear Shop?

I'm looking for something that just flat out works, no matter the conditions. It will also need to be tough, Marines aren't known for being careful with equipment. Thanks for any info and opinions.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which hand held and ballistic program?

Defensive Edge Products

This is what Carlock has come up with after trying stuff over the years. A bit spendy, but apparently very dependable. Preloaded with the NightForce software, which is just Exbal made to look like it's NightForce's, as you probably know. Perry-Systems - Ballistic Calculator Software

Patagonia Ballistics ( Ballistics Software from Patagonia Ballistics ) is the LoadBase program and that is what Len is selling on the LRH Gear Shop here I believe. ( Patagonia Ballistics - LoadBase Software ) I personally use Exbal, but if I had a dedicated PDA for LR shooting I would use the the LoadBase Program as it offers several potentially valuable functions that Exbal does not, but it is a huge program that eats up a lot more memory (if you use the whole thing), than does Exbal--from what others here have experienced. Customer service and customer suggestions appear to be better received by Gus at Patagonia ballistics from evidence personal and some others experiences here.

I have an older Axim X30 that I used everyday and among the many other programs I run on it, I also run Exbal. Had it for several years and on many multiday backpacking hunting trips and week long open ocean kayaking trips and it's still ticking along just fine for about $50 on ebay for a used one. I made this drybag out of heat sealable nylong to be able to use it when it's a bit moist outside:

PDA Drybag pictures from hiking & backpacking photos on webshots

PDA Drybag with PDA pictures from hiking & backpacking photos on webshots

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl