Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

H-S Precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2004, 03:48 AM
Bronze Member

Re: H-S Precision

Brown Dog,

I also looked into the HS and came to the same conclusion. IMHO HS have chosen a really rubbish outfit to import being a mobile number only with no real back up. For that extra cash you're not even going to get any warranty back up and should anything go wrong it's back to the US. The issue is not rip off Britain but having to use an importer rather than HS precision direct.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:54 AM

I'm new here, this is my first post. I have an HS in an STW and it's been a good gun but you may want to take a look at the Cooper arms rifles also. They are priced less and are also very accurate for the money. http://www.cooperfirearms.com/

GB
Old 04-14-2004, 04:18 PM

I'd add one thing. I've been shooting my HTR in 7mm Rem Mag for a few years now. Averages </=0.5 MOA. But...every time a case is ejected there's a small jagged scratch up near the shoulder...seems like there's a little metal burr that they missed.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

MD

Now that you mention it I recall my HS rifle leaving a reamer mark at the shoulder too. I believe what they did was to stop the reamer in the chamber without backing it off first. The mark on my brass was straight up the case just at the shoulder then diagonally across the shoulder... made a good counter for the number of times the brass was fired in that chamber, just cound the marks!

Didn't seem to effect accuracy, just a "character mark" on the brass.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Bronze Member

Some times those scratches on the case come from the plunger ejector pushing the case against a corner of the locking recesses that is not deburred properly.

Use your finger to probe around and see if you can find a sharp corner.

All of the case marking I have seen that came from the chamber went around the circumference of the case. Scratches along the axis come from the above-mentioned problem and occur during extraction.

I donít know if this is the case with either of these rifles but it is certainly something to investigate.

If you think the scratches do come from the chamber post a picture if you can as I would like to see it. I always like new problems.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:29 PM

Els, I too am thinking of one of a HS Precision but a varmint in 6.5-284 for long range high seat deer. I have so far been put off by the high cost of our sole importer in the UK. I am investigating ways of importing one myself direct to an RFD here. If you are friendly with a local gunshop who imports it may be a way forwards for you. I certainly do not relish giving a middleman £3-£400 profit for a paper exercise and nop discernable back up. I considered an RPA as well but they are too heavy and the HS has a certain look about it doesn't it?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

Give the guys at the Riflestore a chance, they haven't been operating long, what i'd do is have a chat with them. work out first what you think it would cost you to import a HS rifle, work out what you think you are prepared to pay for having some one import it for you, and then try to deal with them, make them aware that you are prepared to deal but prepared to go it alone if you get no joy, remember that they are running a business and have to live of what they make on selling to you,see what you come up with, worth a try. don't forget that it is likely HS won't sell to anyone in the UK as they now have a distributor there and part of that agreement will be that they don't undermine eachothers operations.
Me, well i would purchase the thing in the USA, or have a friend purchase it, id get the cerial number entered onto my licence and then i would go over and pick the thing up, carry it back avoiding all customs as the rifle is already mine since the number is on my license..
sorted. Pete