Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

H-S or Bell Carlson for 338RUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

H-S or Bell Carlson for 338RUM?

I have a 338rum BDL LH and wanted to swap for a new stock, I am somewhat limited for left hand models. What would be better for hunting and making it lighter?

Any one know what the original wood stock weighs?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: H-S or Bell Carlson for 338RUM?

Lighter isn't really what I'd be thinking of with a .338 Rum... .

If you go to stocky's stocks and look at both brands and the various models I think they show the weight of each one.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

Up till now I would have said its a matter of choice. I own plenty of B&C and H-S. But I just had my first bad experience with a B&C stock. Bought a used one off of gunbroker and the holes would not line up with reciever. I checked it with an identical stock that I have and with another reciever and the stock is drilled wrong. And no it is not a LA. This is probably why I got it for $65. No mention in item description of it being defective. I have contacted B&C but have not heard back - its been 2 months. Bought a Mcmillan Hunters Edge and have pretty much forgotten the turd.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

manners offers stocks in left hand models, also on the stocky web site they have Bobby Hart laminated in left hand models unfortunetly if you need longer then 13 1/2 in lop prob wont work, but look like quality stocks in many different colors. Will except Wyatt bottom metal external mag, and are all aluminum block bedded. on sale or was for $188-205 out the door. Reg price about 250 280
Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasgas View Post
I have a 338rum BDL LH and wanted to swap for a new stock, I am somewhat limited for left hand models. What would be better for hunting and making it lighter?

Any one know what the original wood stock weighs?
Check over at stockysstocks.com. They carry both and I believe had the weights listed for each model.

Typically the B&C's will be a little lighter but require just a little extra fitting. The H-S are going to require little or no work to drop your action straight in generally.

For me I really don't see the cost difference between the two making the H-S worth it, but then I try to do everything on the cheap and don't mind doing a little extra work myself.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:43 PM

i wanted the hs but were all outta stock. so i settled for a bell and carlson. extremely happy with the results. mine to is lh which is hard to find. i beleive mine is the medalist version. bedding blocks and all. like i stated extremely happy.