Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

H&R's for long range shooting.. Anyone ever try it ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 02:40 PM

H&R's for long range shooting.. Anyone ever try it ?

I've got a couple of H&R's that are mighty fine shooters and I've stretched them out to 300 yds on occasion.. Has anyone shot any farther with these rifles ??

Just curious...
Old 08-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: H&R's for long range shooting.. Anyone ever try it ?

I have a couple H&R and NE handy rifles the thing with them is some shoot and some just don't it's hit and miss with them. the other problem is with most of them the barrel twist are not fast enough to shoot the heavier bullets that most shoot. i tried shooting 69gr smk out of my NE 223 and they tumbled but it shoots the 45-50gr well under 1/2" @ 100 yards. If you don't mind shooting lite bullets and have one that shoots good then why not. But the wind kicks my but bad enough as it is so i need all the BC i can get.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:21 PM

I've been shooting a bunch of store bought ammo out a new H&R and it's been having issues with 55 grain bullets.. I finally got around to reloading for it with some lighter(45 grains) and heavier rounds and it seems to like the heavy stuff better(68 grains)..

I've found that with H&R's you have to find their "sweet spot" for using a rest.. Otherwise you'd be better off using a shotgun at long range...lol
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

I'd just as soon be trying a Red Ryder BB gun!!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
I'd just as soon be trying a Red Ryder BB gun!!

You'll shoot your eye out kid
Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

It's just not a long rang platform
Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

The basic design of the H&R action is not too strong and is susceptible to eventual loosening with the heavier, or high pressure rounds. Probably OK with the smaller, or low pressure calibers. I suspect if you go too heavy with a 45-70, that barrel will eventually be wobbling on the action. We used them as kids because you could buy a "Topper" for $25. I have one tucked in the back of my safe that has come off the face and and has an eight of an inch of barrel movement. I keep it for sentimental reasons.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt