Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Guy From England Looking For Long Range Shooting Vacation In USA.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Silver Member

Guy From England Looking For Long Range Shooting Vacation In USA.

Hiya Guys,

I am from the UK and have just taken up rifle shooting. I have purchased a few rifles for shooting on my local far.

.22lr CZ
.17hmr CZ
.243 Tikka Super varmint with Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 Scope.

I shoot varmint (Rabbits and Foxes) at my local farm at ranges up to 300yds which is really the maximum safe shooting range, but I would really like to go to the USA and learn at a shooting school or hunting vacation center how to become a better long range hunter.

Can you offer any advice on such a good vacation venue with a good reputation.

Also, the Tikka super varmint is an out of the box rifle and is currently shooting about 1" groups at 100yds. is this about right or should I make adjustments to the ammo or rifle.

Can you make suggestions as to the best ammo for this rifle?

The rifle has a 1 in 10 twist.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 AM

Re: Guy From England Looking For Long Range Shooting Vacation In USA.

Shawn Carlock puts on a great long range class in Coeur D alene Idaho and knows Night Force inside and out contact him at 208-687-2659 and the price is right. As for the rifle ammo would be the easy fix hope it works if not look at the stock and barrle make sure you dont have contact this could open up your group pillars might be lose its the little things that can drive you nuts. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Gold Member

Welcome to LRH.

I would check out a couple of the guys on this site that offer long range shooting classes and take one of them while you are over here.

Hope the vacation goes well.
RMNS 8:28
Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Silver Member

Check into Hollands Shooting School. The web address is Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply He does a great job and I think that you would be well served.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome, glad to have you here. lots of good folks and lots of good info. +1 on Shawn and Darrell. Enjoy.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on Shawn and Darrell. If you happen to come threw Virginia check out the shooting opportunities on Quantico Marine Corps Base. They have a 1k range. Anyone shooting on that range will be willing to give you advice and their opinion(s)!

www.quanticoshootingclub.com

Your 10 twist barrel is a bit slow. You need a 1:9 or 8 to be able to shoot the heavier bullets.

With a stock rifle, there are several things to consider that may help with improving the accuracy potential of your rifle. They are:

Pillar and skim bed action
Tune Trigger
Recrown Barrel
Lap Locking Lugs

Last edited by trebark; 06-15-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
Hiya Guys,

I am from the UK and have just taken up rifle shooting. I have purchased a few rifles for shooting on my local far.

.22lr CZ
.17hmr CZ
.243 Tikka Super varmint with Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 Scope.

I shoot varmint (Rabbits and Foxes) at my local farm at ranges up to 300yds which is really the maximum safe shooting range, but I would really like to go to the USA and learn at a shooting school or hunting vacation center how to become a better long range hunter.

Can you offer any advice on such a good vacation venue with a good reputation.

Also, the Tikka super varmint is an out of the box rifle and is currently shooting about 1" groups at 100yds. is this about right or should I make adjustments to the ammo or rifle.

Can you make suggestions as to the best ammo for this rifle?

The rifle has a 1 in 10 twist.
Come out and take shawn's class, it's a reasonable price and he pretty much guarantee's everyone will be shooting 800 yards by the end of the course. Look me up when you get out here, if Im available I will take you out shooting after you get done with Shawns class. We shoot from 1,000 to close to a mile. I live about 30 minutes west of Shawn.

kelly