Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Guns & Ammo, Van Zwoll, Grey Bull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Guns & Ammo, Van Zwoll, Grey Bull

Van Zwoll teamed up with Grey Bull and laid down a pretty good long range hunting article in the current Guns and Ammo. One paragraph addressed "precession" and the bullet "going to sleep" over distance. I have heard differing viewpoints on this subject, but what Van Zwoll describes has mirrored what I have experienced at the range with long, heavy for caliber, VLD bullets.

"Precession, or the rotation of a bullet's nose about its axis, increases drag but is generally greater near the muzzle than down range, when the bullet's spin overcomes the physical flaws that cause precession. Like a top that "goes to sleep" as it recovers from the force that spun it, a bullet can become more stable as it travels, shedding drag and actually shooting tighter groups (in minutes of angle) at long range than it does up close. Thats why a rifle that prints one-inch groups at 100 yards may give you two-inch groups at 300, even 400 yards."

I've seen more than one rifle struggle to get sub-moa at 100yds with max load, heavy, long for caliber vld bullets but then impressively print sub moa groups at 1000yds.

Good food for thought when developing a long range hunting load with these VLD bullets.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Guns & Ammo, Van Zwoll, Grey Bull

Yeah, I have been told that several times. I guess it is one of those things that you have to get the ".5MOA at 100yrds" theory a break. I have tried to start shooting reloads at longer distances to get a more accurate read of what the bullet is doing. Thanks Mo!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Do you think this theory only applies to VLDs or to similar non-VLD bullets? If not why do you suppose only VLDs?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting those two would team up. I've read a number of Van Zwoll articles over the years in 'Bugle' and have come away with a fairly strong feeling that he's not fond of the idea of long range hunting. I'd like to read that article.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Do you think this theory only applies to VLDs or to similar non-VLD bullets? If not why do you suppose only VLDs?

In general, I believe the theory goes that is is more of an issue for long for caliber bullets. Some good discussion on this in Bryan Litz's book.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

Based on my limited experience I feel its the long heavy for caliber bullets that may take more time to "go to sleep". Particularly the Berger VLD'S. Some of the rifles I've had experience with would put together sub .5 groups @ 100yds with regular mid weight boat tails but with the heaviest available bullet for that caliber it took a bunch of load development and range time to get that same rifle to squeek under 1 moa @ 100. But it would hold .7 moa @ 1000.

Twist rates are probably a factor in all this also. A twist rate too fast or too slow would surely have some effect.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Its good the long range hunting segment is getting some main stream attention by a main stream writer like Van Zwoll. It doesn't surprise me too much, Van Zwoll is a rifleman, he prides himself on marksmanship in the field, appreciates an accurate rifle, and lives to hunt big game.

Kudos to the guys at GreyBull, based on the article, they made Van Swoll a believer. Looks like they had him on the range ringing steel at 800yds and in the field dropping mule deer with 180 7mm Bergers.