Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Gun Smith recomendations??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Gold Member

Gun Smith recomendations??

Im looking at getting a new Rifle as right now I hunt with a .243 AI When hunting Black Bear I keep my fingers crossed when pulling the trigger .........and its easy to draw a cow elk tag in Nevada as well as my wifes family that want me to come up to Northern Idaho to hunt Deer and Elk with them.
I like ordering the McMillan Gel Swirls stock as the last one was beautiful and gives your rifle a one of a kind look. I have considered the Cooper line of Rifles and have talked with Cooper and they are very customer savy. My dad gave me a Remington 700 years ago in a .280 and that meant a lot to me and would want to get that cartrige back, so im leaning towards the .280

Would love to hear back from anyone with a Smith recomendation and any sugjestiions on what parts barrels have worked best for you..................I know that I want a Jewell Trigger and want the barrel coated flat black What twist rate for shooting 140 to 168 gr bullets and barrel company as well as the lenght. I reallize that a lot of guys like the .280 Ackley but not sure the added 150 FPS is worth it .................speaking from NO experiance. In the past I have shot some Mule Deer and Antelope with the 7mm-08.
Just looking for a great non magnum Rifle so when drawing down on a 600 lb Black Bear im not hesitating on the outcome of pulling the Trigger.

Greg
Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gun Smith recomendations??

For the barrel use a 1:9 twist, 24" or 26" finish, go with a krieger, bartlein, lilja, benchmark, broughton, hart, brux, or rock creek brand, anyone of those will be shooters.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

Pac Nor was recomended to me ..................what do you think of them as compared to the others you mentioined?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

I have heard good and bad about pac-nor, the shilen match (not select match), and a couple others but they escape me right now. I have heard great things about the mcgowen and CBI also.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

So if you were builiding a rifle today what barrel would you choose, what would be your first pick and a runner up?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

#1 brux
#2 benchmark
#3 bartlein

You really cant go wrong with ANY of those.

I'm 16
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 05-25-2013, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

I had mine built on a Remington action, Rock creek barrel, Shilen trigger(check those out. feel like a jewel, for $90-$100). PTG bolt, and Manners stock(was on the fence with the McMillan. I also have a Shilen barrel in a .25-06 and it shoots better than I do. both guns are sub 1/2 easy, and I've shot 1" groups at 450 with the Rock creek. as for the smith, Randy's custom rifles did my .25-06 and it was shipped to him, and was back on my door step finished in 19 days. The 300 win mag Remington was done by "Young's Guns" and turn around was very good there as well. both are great shooters.....I'd not hesitate to send them to either, but Young's is top notch. as for the 280, great cartridge......but I have a .270 and a 300 so I just bookend it.....hope this helped
Nimrod