Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Gun Options....What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Bronze Member

Gun Options....What would you do?

I had posted here about using an existing A-bolt in 300 win mag and upgrade the stock and scope to mil dot.

Well this is another option. Sell this gun and buy one of these.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=42202893

and top it with the new scope.

What do you think is the best option?

Archer
Old 01-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: Gun Options....What would you do?

...the remington is "almost" always going to be favored over the browning... personlly I would always give high consideration toward the remington & would never consider a browning, just a personal thing though, no offense to anyone please... Larry
Old 01-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Gold Member

My personal thing would be to buy one of the sendero's regardless. They are not in production anymore and just happen to be my favorite factory stick to shoot!

If your Browning shoots good and is reliable then I would look into doing some upgrading like you mentioned but if I had any doubts as to accuracy potential of your current stick then I would go the new gun route.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

If your Abolt Shoots tight holes then i would stick with it.
always nice to have a good shooting rifle. If not i would go with the sendero. But if your gun shoots good then you might as well shoot it.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

The barrels in the Brownings are press fitted under extreme pressure to the receivers. This means that you'll probably not be able to replace that barrel if you "shoot it out."

Browning does, for about the cost of a new barrel, replace the receiver/barrel as a unit. So that's an option if you ever need a new barrel. But you'll likely never find a 'smith that'll replace the Browning A-bolt barrel. I don't know how you could do it, short of cutting off the old barrel and threading the receiver... Probably not cost effective.

Dan
Old 01-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry Dan, that's bad info. Their barrels are screwed in with threads just like any other rifle. Here's one (not mine) with a #5 Lilja:

A #5 fluted Lilja is going to be screwed onto mine very soon. I'll post lots of pics when it's done.