Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Gun builder question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Gun builder question

I have a friend that inherited a rifle that has J. La Bantchni Maker on the barrel. I am not sure of what kind of action it has. The bolt release on the left side like a Ruger. The safety is on the right and slides forward. It is a nice custom rifle in 6.5-06. He has paper work with it that has load data from 1966. I will take some pictures the next time I go over to see him. Can anyone tell me anything about the gun maker?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Gun builder question

Sounds like an old 1903 Springfield action to me.

Jules La Bantchni, born 1909, died 1983. Owner of Olympic Custom Guns, 2202 Pico Ave in Santa Monica, CA.

Other than that, I can find virtually zero info on the man, other than people saying they had rifles that were stamped J. La Bantchni. Or that they had a rifle built by him. And it appears that he loved the Springfield 1903 action, because from what I've read today, those are the only types of guns I'm seeing listed when his name pops up.

Here's one for sale.

La Bantchni Springfield Sporter 30-06 - American Sporting Rifles

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds more like a commercial Mauser to me. Jules catered to the Hollywood crowd and made a lot of large caliber dangerous game rifles. He was multi-talented in that he did metal work, stock work and engraving. Very solid reputation.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Some pictures

What do we have here.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like a modified Mauser 98 to me...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Gold Member

That is a commercial mauser 98. The bolt handle and commercial shroud are standard Mark X. The absence of a thumb cut on the left side of the receiver indicates it is a commercial receiver rather than a military one.

That is a beautiful rifle!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, I thought it was a Mauser but was not sure. Yes, it is a beautiful rifle. The owner was a Boeing engineer and has all kind of calclulations, formulars and grafts for bullet drop and energy with the loads he was shooting, dating back to 1966 , in the papers that are with the rifle, That we take for granted with our computers today.They were writen on the back of papers that had formulars where they were calulating friction and drag on the airplanes. I thought that was neat. We have the dies on back order and hope to shoot it before November. We have not taken the action out of the stock but the one thing I did notis about the rifle is, the barrel is not free floated.