Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Gun build - Scope help PLEASE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gun build - Scope help PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
so explain to this young guy why the 7mm mag has more energy at a 1000 yds than the 300 wm, yet you are recommending the 300 wm. (see edited post above). And since the 300 wm drops over 3 feet more than the 7mm at a 1000 yds, wouldn't you agree that there is a lot more room for error which could result in a miss, or worse....wounding a critter. See above post for ballistic comparsions. i agree that the 300 wm in not a bad choice, but it is certainly not the best.
Shooting factory loads you're not going to get higher energy from the 7 mag at those ranges.

Try moving up to the 200gr swift a-frame at 2850 mv and give us a recalculation.

When you compare equal weights of course you'll come put in favor of the 7 mag, but when you move to the 200's and heavier bullets in the 300 the equation changes completely.

Last edited by WildRose; 03-30-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Bronze Member

There are dang few factory loads that I'd reccomend shooting at a 1000 yds.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There are dang few factory loads that I'd reccomend shooting at a 1000 yds.
You and I aren't rookies starting out with a straight factory rifle and no reloading gear or experience either.

Remember we've got about six months to help this kid put a rig together on a tight budget, and get him enough practice to get to a competency level where he feels comfortable taking one of those shots on a once in a lifetime hunt.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You and I aren't rookies starting out with a straight factory rifle and no reloading gear or experience either.

Remember we've got about six months to help this kid put a rig together on a tight budget, and get him enough practice to get to a competency level where he feels comfortable taking one of those shots on a once in a lifetime hunt.
On that note I'd recommend he contact Conley precision cartridge for ammo and I'd say look seriously at the 200gr Swift A-Frame load he has there.

300 Winchester Magnum Ballistics

I started having them load my 7mm STW's about five years ago and couldn't be happier.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Bronze Member

I personally don't think it's sound advice to reccomend to a newby to fling bullets at elk at 1000 yds with limited experience, a factory rifle, and factory ammo. But if were going to indulge him, the 7mm has a lot less room for error at that distance. And for clarification, my ballistic data is not favoring reloads or factory ammo. It's based on a 3000 fps velocity with the same weight of bullets.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I personally don't think it's sound advice to reccomend to a newby to fling bullets at elk at 1000 yds with limited experience, a factory rifle, and factory ammo. But if were going to indulge him, the 7mm has a lot less room for error at that distance. And for clarification, my ballistic data is not favoring reloads or factory ammo. It's based on a 3000 fps velocity with the same weight of bullets.
Perhaps you should read back through the thread at my posts to him.

This is the hunt he's going to do. This is what he wants to do and he has asked for help in getting him there.

Amongst other things I have strongly encouraged him to shorten the range to inside 600yds if at all possible.

I also pointed out to him that to get competent it will take lots of practice in varying condtions, taking good notes of his necessary corrections to become competent.

Of course you are going to get a results favoring the 7 mag over the 300 wm using identical bullett weights because the sectional density and advantage in BC to the 300 is not going to show up until you go to the heavier bullets.

Mind you 25 years ago I had to help a friend come up with a 7mm rem load his 11yo 80lbs son could shoot when he unexpectedly drew an elk tag in NM for the boy in NM.

He killed his buck at 375 paces with a single shot to the heart with a 120gr SP loaded down to 2800fps, with an old savage cut down to fit his LOP.

I've been shooting the 7 mag myself since 1972 so I'm well familiar with it.

This isn't about "my caliber is better than yours" or any other kind of ******* contest, it's about trying to help a kid succeed.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. I want to make it clear that I am not a beginner hunter. I have hunted since I was 10 and harvested many animaks. I am a beginner long range hunter. I have acess to a 1000 yd range and will shoot a lot before I hunt. Like I said last year I harvested a bull at 500 yards with a stock vanguard, remington corelokts 175 gr and a nikob bdc scope. I don't think I am a beginning shooter. But I know I'm a beginner long range shooter. I hjave already ordered the 300 win mag instead. How much more does it kick compaerd to 7mm