Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Guidance needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Guidance needed

You can buy 7STW dies straight from Midway USA, RCBS, or anyone else who sells RCBS equipment, that might have them in stock.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

What are advantages / disadvantages of 7 mm STW vs 300 RUM?
Max effective range of either round on elk?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

300 RUM might have a very slight velocity advantage, but I still think the 7STW is better. I think the STW might have better barrel life b/c of how hot the RUM is. The RUMs have horrible throat erosion b/c of how overbored they are. The STW isn't the best on throat erosion itself, but should be better than the RUMs.

There are people who have ahot the STW over 1,500 yards. Used to be a video on YouTube, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm sure tou could wffectively shoot elk that far with a hot load of H1000 and some Berger 180 VLD's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Mudrunner's comments are sound.
One site that may offer some help is Gunwerks. These guys, the Davidsons, build a line of long range rifles, and have some pretty extensive experience. I believe they offer their thoughts on caliber on their website.
FWIW, they also favor the 7mm.