Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Guidance needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Guidance needed

7 STW may be something I'm interested in. What cartridge is it based on? Bolt face?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

7 STW is the 8mm Mag case necked down to 7mm. It is based on the 375 H&H.
I used a Rem 700 long action, 30-06, for a .300 Jarrett which is based on the same case. It worked just fine. I did have a longer Wyatt magazine box installed.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Remington 700 long-action with a magnum bolt face will work just fine. However, the Wyatt's 4.000" extended box magazine setup is nice, b/c it allows you to run your full-length (pressed against the lands) and still be a repeater for hunting. I have debated on having this piece installed, but don't want to ruin the value of my original 1-owner Sendero SF 7mmSTW.

Brad is correct. It is based off the 8mm Remington Magnum, which was based off the .375 H&H cartridge.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

How is barrel life compared to an Edge or Lapua? Would think it must be significantly worse.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

I have been told 1,500+ rounds. I've had mine since new (11 years now) haven't kept track of the number of rounds through it...It still shoots 1-hole groups.

If you take a new barrel, break it in properly with the barrel mfg's break-in process reccomendation. Then have your smith remove the barrel, and send it off to have it melonited, then when you get your barrel back, you have fun, and I have been told that it can double your barrel life. So you could get 2,500-3,000 rounds out of a 7mmSTW. Which would be MORE than worth the cost of the meloniting process.

The STW is a commitment. And once it bites you, you are hooked for life. It's one of the BEST long-range magnum cartridges there is. Especially paired with H1000 powder, Nosler brass, and Berger 180gr VLD bullets.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

With the build you have listed I would try and push the budget a little and get a Manners or McMillan. The 338 edge would be tough to beat. What is your primary purpose for the rifle? Seems like a #7 contour might get heavy if you plan on packing a long way in.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

I would like to think that I will need to pack the rifle in, but at this point with 2 little kids at home it is tough enough to convince the wife to let me go sit in a deer blind...

I am building with the thought of eventually carrying the rifle though, so I appreciate the advice.

How would one go about getting reloading dies for an edge or other "wildcat" round? This would be my first non factory chambering.