Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Groups???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Groups???

Guys I've a rifle that groups lights out at 100yds. But at 300 it opens up alot?? Is it just my form. Heard someone mention free recoil might be a problem?

I assume "free recoil" is just a term for shooting from a bench and just squeezing a sand bag with the non trigger hand??

I just hunt the rifle and have been squeezeing the bag at the bench. Kinda feel like I should be holding the forearm like I would when I huntr?

Also, see guys at the range and they set the barrel in a sand bag a certain way. Trying to maintain cosistant forearm pressure of something? Then others reccomend a good sling for offhand shooting?? Won't a sling put even more pressure of a stock against the barre.

"Thou shall hunt where there are trophy muledeer, or forever be plagued with mediocrity"
Old 04-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Groups???

Your form could be the culprit. What jumped in to my head was parallax. Are you adjusting your parallax when moving from 100 to 300 yards?

Also, some loads will just not perform at longer ranges. Some will and some wont.

Have you tried different loads or just one?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Unless the rifle is a relatively small varmint type caliber. Do not shoot free recoil. You are going to have to develop a consistent "hold".

key would be how do the groups "open" up. Vertical/horizontal or just enlarge?

What is "lights out" and what is open up with your gun. Be specific.

It is difficult for many to shoot really tight groups with a standard 3-9x at 300 as exact POA is hard to establish and repeat.

Parallax could be an issue, but at 300 I doubt it would be over an inch unless something is radically off on your scope.

Groups that are tight at 100 will be normally similarily tight (MOA wise) if the hold and everything else remains the same. Very seldom do you really see groups tight at 100 then just wander open at 300 for no reason. Even low weight/SD/BC PPC bullets group well at 300. They lose their grouping ability normally past 500-600.

BH
Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Did not see caliber indicated? What does the group look like from each distance? Could be a lot of posibilities.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 PM

300wsm.

Was using same power on scope. Puts 5 shot groups under 1" at 100yds....

"Thou shall hunt where there are trophy muledeer, or forever be plagued with mediocrity"
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

What kind of groups at 300 yrds? and how much under an inch at 100?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

I'm not sure if you meant this literally

"Also, see guys at the range and they set the barrel in a sand bag a certain way."

I'm not the most experienced guy on this site, but if you actually have your barrel resting on your bag that would be part of the problem.

Southpaw