Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Grooves 3 or 6?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Grooves 3 or 6?

Well the title pretty much says it. I want a barrel that will shoot the 208 a-max and possibly the 210 JLK. I see guys using 3 grove and just about every barrel manufacturer have a standard 6 groove. So my question is what is better? I am thinking that if I can get away with a 1:12 verses something tighter, I would be able to push the bullet harder with my 300WSM. My compromise twist would be a 1:11, I really want to stay away from a 1:10 because I am not going to be shooting anything heavy enough to really need that kind of spin.

What say you?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Grooves 3 or 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Well the title pretty much says it. I want a barrel that will shoot the 208 a-max and possibly the 210 JLK. I see guys using 3 grove and just about every barrel manufacturer have a standard 6 groove. So my question is what is better? I am thinking that if I can get away with a 1:12 verses something tighter, I would be able to push the bullet harder with my 300WSM. My compromise twist would be a 1:11, I really want to stay away from a 1:10 because I am not going to be shooting anything heavy enough to really need that kind of spin.

What say you?

Tank
Tank. It would be hard to say what is better because they both have their strong points.

I have a 3 grove lilja and lots of 6 and 8 grove barrels and have yet to shoot the 3 grove
enough to say one is better than the other.

Dan Lilja has a FAQ section on his web site and that may answer your question.

Check out Liljas web site and he can help you with the recommended twist for your
rifle.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

I'm liking the 3 groove 11 Lilja has to offer. I'm thinking I don't want to sell my self short with a 12 and not get the performance I want.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Tank, if you check the JLK web site, they list a 10 twist for their 210 VLD and LBT bullets, and if you ever decide to try something like a GS HV 177, 10 is the minimun you need for that.

Just something to think about.

JLK Home

Mark
Old 10-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Tank,

I've been really disrespectful to a 3 groove Lilja w/an 8 twist. A little more than 8#s of powder through it at an averange of ~95 gr a pop. And she still have very little to none copper fouling depending on which bullet is being used.

I would say from that experience that a 3 groove 11 twist in 30 cal would out last a couple of generations of liltanks.

Shrink the bore to .277 then robust bullets/jackets are a problem at extreme velocities.