Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Grizz and the .300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: Grizz and the .300 RUM

You did mention an excuse to by a 416 or 375.

I've shot both the the 416's Rigby and Remmington Mag. My vote would be a .416 Rem mag and get a 26 inch bull barrel. I have a 26 inch bull on my .458 win mag and it helps tame the recoil. The extra inches of barrel over the more common 22 - 24 inchers gets the extra speed out of using slower powders with heavy bullets.

When ever you hit a big animal with @5000 pounds of energy it knocks them back. 400 grains at 2400-2500 fps just takes things out.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:40 PM

I posted that pic. and story about a year ago and it was removed from the forum. Someone posted a site that proved the story was made up.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

And it was such a good story complete with pictures.

Next you will be saying that there is no easter bunny and that eggs are laid by chickens. You are destroying my faith in the world.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Gold Member

I have read several comments on Hawk bullets as being similar to the Woodleighs in effectiveness on big, aggressive beasts. They make a 250 gr round nose that they told me would stabilize in my 12 twist .300 Jarrett. They also claim that they will not come apart at high velocity. Any one used them?
For what it's worth, I have talked with several alaskans lately, both guides and civilians. All have said, essentially, that the '06 and .300's will kill big bears quite nicely, but when that same bear is wounded or otherwise enraged, you not only want to kill him, but you want to put him on the ground, NOW, so he doesn't kill you before he expires. The .416's have been suggested more than once as a good caliber for PO'ed bears.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

I certainly agree with REAL world experience although I am conrently testing the TXS's 3 hogs and 2 deer and no problems of course not definitive by by any means the original X's I know had failures according to Barnes that was due to the inconsistancey of the copper zinc alloy not being consitant and creating hard spots and if that occurred in the tip then you would get less than acceptable performance the TSX's have no zinc and have proven so for to be consistant I will see! I never used the original X' for that very reason of not beeing consistant the TSX have potential if the consistance problems is indeed a thing of the past in 4 different rifles they shoot as accurate as any bullet that I have fired You are spot on about bear attacks and caliber and bullet choices
Old 03-19-2005, 08:49 PM

I've used the Barnes XLC's (Blue Meanies) in my 7STW on Mulie and Lope in Wyoming. I've never seen animals drop so fast. Accuracy SUCKED!!!! I mean really sucked!
I heard the TSX's have better accuracy.

I personally never hunted Grizz or been around them. I have been around black bears as close a 15 feet. There are a lot of there in my part of NY since I'm right near the New Jersey border and they are protected there(no more Jersey bear hunt! Too many tree-hugger protesters!) Those black bears run away quicker than deer. I've heard that grizz aren't that cowardly.

If I did hunt Grizz I would want a good back up weapon...or two! Preferably a sidearm for quick access. As far as weapon I would use my 338 Lapua, and this is one time I wouldn't use the 300 matchking. I personally do not have a problem with recoil, but many do and I think that they actually may do themselves and those around them a dis-service using a .416 or something too hard kicking for them. I would think its better to hit the grizz in the vitals with a 300 win mag than in the ass with a .416 weatherby. I do think that a 300 win mag is undergunned for a grizz, but I guess its better that a bad shot. I would think 338 would be minimum. If I were to use a .30 cal I would choose a ultra-mag or weatherby caliber and not a win-mag.

I've shot a deer a few years back with my 12ga shotgun at 56 yards and he ran about 50 yards before dropping in his tracks after being shot in the heart. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a shotgun for a grizz. Although its better than a golfclub!
My Wyoming mule deer dropped in his tracks with a neck hit from a 140 barnes xlc from my 7STW. Lope did the same thing from a front shoulder shot. (No lungs!) The mulie was 216 yards and the lope was 48. I'm not saying that they are anywhere near a grizz, but instant death without hitting the spinal cord is impressive with any animal.
If someone had bullet failure with the barnes I'm surprised. Not saying it hasn't or couldn't happen just a little surprised. I've never used the Woodleigh's but I have heard that they are excellent dangerous game bullets.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

If you do not trust the Accubonds do not forget the Swift A-frames/Trophy bonded.