Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Gripping the stock/barrel while shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Bronze Member

Gripping the stock/barrel while shooting?

Okay...a newby question here.

Today at the range, I first put a fouling shot through my .300 Winnie.

Then I shot a three while holding the front portion of the stock/barrel with my left hand. I was on a bench with the gun resting on sand bags at the front and rear.

I let the gun cool for about 10 minutes.

Then I shot a three more with the front of the gun just resting on the sandbags with my left hand under the gun holding the rear sandbags.

The result...the second group was about 2-1/2" higher, and about 1/3 of the size as the first group.

I switched ammo between the first group and the second group.

Do you think the different grip on the gun or the different ammo caused the substantial change in POI?

(I know, I know, go shoot it some more to find out.) I'm mostly curious to hear what you all think about the different grip on the gun will do.

Thanx in advance.

RH
Old 09-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Gripping the stock/barrel while shooting?

I would say a combination of both--but about a 95%/5% combo. Or even a 99%/1%. In my experience, most differences in group sizes in a situation like you describe comes from using different bullets/ammo. I have even found there to be significant changes in group sizes by shooting a bullet with a different jacket makeup than what the barrel has been fouled with. For example, when trying to sight in my 7.82 Warbird, I shot 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to zero the rifle, and when I switched to Barnes XLC bullets, the shots went wild. I then cleaned my barrel thoroughly, and tried again with the XLCs--VOILA! 1/2" groups! One thing I always make sure of is to keep things consistent. That way you can remove variables one at a time until you deduce the problem. Clean your barrel down to the metal, and go back and shoot with the bullets you intend to use on a consistent basis.

One quick guess--did you buy a box of cheap ammo to zero the scope and a box of the "premium" to use in the field? I only ask because I've been guilty of doing that in the past, and it ended up causing more confusion and poor groups.

CONSISTENCY + PATIENCE = SUCCESS.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

Good question about the cheap ammo...but no. I am a strong believer that you should not save pennies on your ammo...after all...it's then only thing that actually ends up touching your intended target. I was just trying two different brands of ammo to see how they grouped in my gun.

The ammo that created the larger 3-shot group (1-1/2") was less money though. It was the Hornady Superformance 180 grain SST's. The much tighter 3-shot group (7/16") was the Federal Preimium 180 Accubond.

I think I like (or more 'accurately'-my gun likes) the Federal Premiums.

RH
Old 09-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Definately the change in ammo. Sounds like your rifle likes the Federal load. You had basically the same rest on both, sand bags in the front and rear. The only thing you changed was the position of your non-firing hand. Is that correct?
I know too man people who think they can be zeroed with one round and be good for another. Sometimes yes, but more then likely NO.

Last edited by Bravo 4; 09-19-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Bronze Member

Yes that is correct...only changed position of my non-trigger hand...and the ammo of course. But to change the POI vertically by around 2-1/2" @ 100 yards seems almost hard to believe.

RH
Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

I have seen rifles change (slightly) thier POI when changing from one rest to another. I have also seen rifles change POI by a foot at 100yards from changing loads and some by several moa just by switching primers. The only way you will know is to go shoot.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

most likely the AMMO