Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

GreyBull Precision Video Preview

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: GreyBull Precision Video Preview

Don I was on yalls website earlier today. I cant wait to get my coppy. I have all of the best of the west series Jon Burns is on and have nothing but respect for him. He is very good at explaining himself and his methods. Im sure yalls new DVD will be outstanding if its anything like the trailer!

Chase
Old 08-13-2009, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Don,

Nice video, well done.

I have a couple of questions.

What sort of shooting sticks or tripod were you using? They seemed very effective.

Also I noticed that you always dialed past your range setting a few clicks, before going back to the correct setting. Why do you do this?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Topshot,

I can answer these questions for you.

The sticks they shoot with are from stoney point. I believe they are called a pole cat. I have shot off some and are excellent for field shooting positions.

The dialing past the wanted distance is due to "slack" in the internal adjustments. So dialing past then back to the distance will cancel the slack. This is usually just a Leupold issue

CHase
Old 08-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Don,

The proof is in the puddin'

Kudos to the camera man!

The main reason that "I" would always approach the final turret setting from above is experience with scopes that click from the very early 50s till now. Oh, yea and the bottom end of scope lines. Them was poor days but we was proud.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Roy,

I have only had Leupold MK4, Nightforce, and S&B and my MK4 is the only one that did that. Some of my friends have the lower end ones but I guess I have not paid attention to whether they dial past and back or not.

Chase
Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Any idea when the DVD will be out?

Thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

As 115 stated the sticks are Stoney Point...with a twist. We build & sell a modified version that lets you snap the rear of the gun into the extra arm coming off the back tripod leg when standing or sitting. It is a quick detach system similar to how the Stoney Point bipod snaps into the forearm. It's more stable than resting the rear of the rifle in the rubber "Y" that is standard.

As for the dialing past and back, it does eliminate the possibility of backlash or slack as the erector system does it's thing. It's not necessary, but it's one less thing that could go wrong and just an old habit for us. We've tested a lot of scopes and one reason we use Leupold is the durability and repeatability when they get dialed all the time. All the new VX3 scopes (which ours is based on) have the dual spring erector system.

No set date on the video release but we'll get the word out when it's complete and ready to ship.

Last edited by Don Ward; 08-14-2009 at 09:59 AM.