Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

GreyBull Precision Video Preview

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

GreyBull Precision Video Preview

Just a quick preview of our upcoming full length video. PHB = Precision Hunting Bullet which is our own VLD we may be offering in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8MEz...e=channel_page

Don Ward

Last edited by Don Ward; 08-12-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: GreyBull Precision Video Preview

Great video! Tastefully done. I love it when you see the vapor trail.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

+1 LRSickle, I do have one question with the custom turrets how do they make them for one condition and then travel all around at different altitudes and elevation, temp ,baro pressures and the turrets still hit dead on I can't help but say no way can it do that. Maybe someone can shed some light on this subject.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
PUBLISHER

Very nice job! Made me want to get out and hunt that beautiful country.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 08-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Bronze Member

great video
Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

bigbuck:

Your question is dead-on. Regardless of what method you use (direct dialing like us, chart dialing MOA, reticle holdover, etc) it's important to know where your bullet is going for that particular shot.

With our method, the easiest way to account for that is with a drop compensating turret that matches the conditions you are hunting in. Generally, you get 2000'-3000' and 20deg on either side of what your turret is set at before you can see enough impact variance to effect hunting accuracy when using flat calibers and high BC bullets. The actual range, shot conditions & individual ballistic performance can shrink or enlarge that window. Swapping turret dials before a hunt is very easy and requires no rezeroing.

If you are in a situation where your dial isn't a match for the conditions you are in, it's important to know what your bullet performance is for whatever conditions you face. If an extreme incline, big temp swing, or big altitude change is an issue, the shooter needs to now how to adjust for that. Making that adjustment is no more complicated with a direct dial system than it is with any other system.

The advantage to a direct dial system is that for about 80% or 90% of the shots we encounter, we can just dial and shoot if the dial we have on is a basic match for the conditions. You can cover a good chunk of the remaining shots with a basic understanding of your rifles performance and some simple "rule of thumb" adjustments.

For the occasional shot that requires some heavier calculating and maybe a chart reference, a direct dial system doesn't have anything stopping manual adjustments.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Don for the insite, I use the nightforce software on a ppc for my info I feel like it does not get any more accurate than that, but your way makes a lot of sense to me now . I might try one in the future after all I would have 2 choices then or,I really like the idea of not having a ppc to worry about in the field just my kestrel for the wind and range it dial it in and send it