Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Grandpa's old rifle still shoots.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Grandpa's old rifle still shoots.

I recieved my Grandfathers 1969 push feed Model 70 30-06 that he bought new when he passed about 10 years ago. I have shot it from time to time but decided to work a load up for it and use it this fall to chase elk with. I dug up some of his load information and headed to the range. He used alot of IMR 4350 and 4831 powders but I had H4350 on hand so I used that.
165gr HPBT Sierra Gamekings

The target was riddled with shrapnal from a rock that was shot close by. Not a bad way to start things off though.
165gr SPBT Innerlock Hornady (His Favorite)

My buddy jinxed me on the last shot by lookin through the spotting scope and saying "nice group"...kills it every time.
I had a nice 3/4" group with his load of 150gr SP Sierra Gamekings but my buddy shot the target with his 270 and messed it up.
I decided to try some newer bullets in it and found it really likes Accubonds.
165gr Accubond (5 shots)

I think we have a winner!!
Grandpa's loads shot very well for a hunting rifle that has shot more game than I ever will but I think I will make the switch to some Accubonds. Elk beware!
On a side note we took a detour to a buddies farm and found a few chucks that needed to be destroyed. My .223AI at work.
click on the picture for a carnage video

A great way to spend a morning.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Grandpa's old rifle still shoots.

Grandpa would be proud of you. Nice shooting.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 PM

I figured a picture was in order.

It still has his old school Bushnell Banner cross hair scope(no duplex here). Great rifle.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Your grandpa had good taste. Awesome rifle, and I think you ''1-upped'' his loads with the accubonds. Excelent group! Im sure he'd be proud!
I have to admit Im a bit bias. Im a Winchester freak! My whole family has shot Winchester for generations. While Ill admit that not all Winnies shoot groups THAT small, I still love to see someone take a classic Winchester, and lay down groups like that. The fact that it was your grandpa's makes it even better! There was a reason those ol' timers liked those rifles, and why I my gun cabnet is Dominated with Winchesters. I like tradition, and it brings a smile to my face everytime I see somebody get joy from ''grandpa's ol rifle'', that was passed on.
Chalk one up for grandpa AND you. Now go smoke an elk with grandpa's ol rifle and the memory and joy you feel for doing so will never be forgotten.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-25-2010, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

Nice rig, a good Ole Classic. Nice pic, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

I've got one just like your grangfathers. I bought it in 1968, i was 22 yrs. old. When my son graduated from high school in 1984 in promised him an elk hunt. That's when i put a scope on it . The scope is a Burris Fullfield 3/9/40 , and it's still on the model 70. To date i've shot 7 elk with the old girl. Of all the calibers i've got she's my favorite, and i am a Model 70 freak. Model 70's are all i own with the exception of a Browning 22 Hornet. My elk load is 57.2 of H 4831SC , Fed. 215 primers , Horn. 180 BTSP in FED. brass. Tried and true. I could tweek that load some but i'm happy with 3/4" groups at 100 yds.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the load. I still have several 180gr Speer SP bullets and some load data for those that shot well for him. I think I am going to give the Accubonds a try. I may pick up some 165gr BT to see how they shoot for practice. The Accubonds can get expensive.

Andrew