Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Grand Slam Completed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Grand Slam Completed

I was fortunate enough to have drawn a Utah Range Creek Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep tag this fall. I needed a Rocky to complete my Grand Slam. It took me 18 points, but was worth it. I will attempt to attach a picture.
Maybe the best part was the shot. We found the ram the night before and got as close as 800 yards, but I wasn't comfortable taking the shot in marginal light that close to dark. So we bedded him down and came back the next morning. Unfortunately, the ram and his band had moved and we didn't find him again until about 10:30 am. He had moved to the south side of the mountain and was now over 1200 yards. He was just under a cliff rim with no way to get closer.
With the encouragement of my hunting buddies, one of which teaches long range shooting, we decided to set up a shot. The ram was ranged at 1286 yards on my Leica 1600b and 1287 on Jim's Swarovski. We decided to use a Remington 7mm Mag. with a 160 grain Acubond bullet. It was loaded with H1000 powder with a velocity of just over 3000 fps. Conditions were ideal with no wind and temperatures in the mid 40's. By the time we had the shot set up, the ram decided to take an hour nap behind a rock. That was a long and frustrating wait. I had two camcorders set up, two spotting scopes and four experienced hunters speculating as to whether I would make the shot.
When the ram finally got up and streched, I settled down behind the Leupold 4.5x14 LR and got it done. What a way to finish a Grand Slam! I just got my number from the Grand Slam Club at 1738. That has been a 30+ year quest. I did it the hard way by drawing tags, going self guided and buying cancelation and discount hunts. My ram scored right at 175. I know I could have gotten a smaller ram with a closer shot, but I never would have gotten this guy without the ability to make the long shot. Thanks for your help and encouragement.
Bob Friel
Mapleton, Utah
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Grand Slam Completed-big-horn-sheep-shot-picture.jpg  

Old 12-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Grand Slam Completed

That is on a whole different level of awesome!! Congratulations on both the grand slam and the closing shot!!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Gold Member

WOW! Very nice trophy and great photo to boot.
Congrats. I could only hope to do something like that.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 12-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

That is a good looking Ram. Congrats on completing your Grand Slam in such a memorable fashion! Glad to see everything worked out.

How did the Accubond perform at that range?

t

Old 12-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Wow!

Awesome Picture

Awesome Story

Awesome Shot

Awesome Trophy

AND CONGRATS ON THE SLAM!

Scot E.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Man that is totally awesome!! Congrats to you for the quest of a lifetime. And great shooting!!

Jeff
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Bronze Member

Congrats on the shot and the slam!

What makes it even more remarkable is the way you did it through homework and cancellations.

A respectable bull elk tops my bucket list, done a couple DIY hunts and tagged a cow so far. Reading how you completed your slam is encouraging. Hopefully finance and opportunity will meet up sooner than later!