Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Got a question we all faced at one time or another.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Got a question we all faced at one time or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
BC means nothing when you don't have the powder to push it to efficiently....And with a .30-06 210+ is getting kinda heavy on the top-end...I couldn't see him getting better than 2650 with the standard .30-06 and 210's.

If he went with the .30-06 AI, then he could push the big heavies alot more efficiently.

Granted, my .308 Win is pushing 210's to 2400 fps MV, but I'm also running max load. It's not a recommended load, but it shoots great for me.

I mean, if he wants smack-down at 500-750 yards, a 24-26" .308 Win with a 5R 11.25" twist heavy barrel shooting 210 VLD's at 2400+ would be about perfect. You get smackdown & efficiency.
I agree, that's why I said "those that can push it".

IIWM, I'd go with. 264 chambering; 6.5x55/AI, 6.5-06/AI, 6.5-280/AI, etc ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I agree, that's why I said "those that can push it".

IIWM, I'd go with. 264 chambering; 6.5x55/AI, 6.5-06/AI, 6.5-280/AI, etc ...
The plain ole .260 Rem will do anything he wants to do at that range and it's my "go to" for such uses but he wanted to limit the discussion to the other two calibers so I didn't bring it up.

I've already got the .260 and .264wm but I have to admit I kind of which I'd given more thought to the 6.5x284.

So little difference in all of them though it's really irrelevant unless one is bent on pushing the limits.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Leaning real hard towards .280 Rem
Old 09-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Do you reload? Any chance this is taken out against anything bigger than a whitetail?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oregonian View Post
Do you reload? Any chance this is taken out against anything bigger than a whitetail?
Not at all.. May poke a wild pig or two.. Smash a few groundhogs, or try and bag an elk one day, but for now whitetails are on the menu.

Short of a large dangerous grizzly, I wouldn't feel under gunned by nothing I care to shoot by either caliber.

As for handloads, i Sold everything I owned about a decade ago... In the process of getting everything back now. Hand loads are in the very near future.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriKW View Post
Not at all.. May poke a wild pig or two.. Smash a few groundhogs, or try and bag an elk one day, but for now whitetails are on the menu.

Short of a large dangerous grizzly, I wouldn't feel under gunned by nothing I care to shoot by either caliber.

As for handloads, i Sold everything I owned about a decade ago... In the process of getting everything back now. Hand loads are in the very near future.
The two are very similar to begin with and I don't think you could go wrong with either on a whitetail at 500 and in. The deer would never tell the difference, so get what you want.

I went thru a similar debate with myself, but added the 280AI into the mix as well. I don't reload, so for me that made the 30-06 a fairly simple choice....more factory Amy to play with to find which one works, and a wider selection of bullets in factory ammo.

Enjoy whichever you want.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oregonian View Post
The two are very similar to begin with and I don't think you could go wrong with either on a whitetail at 500 and in. The deer would never tell the difference, so get what you want.

I went thru a similar debate with myself, but added the 280AI into the mix as well. I don't reload, so for me that made the 30-06 a fairly simple choice....more factory Amy to play with to find which one works, and a wider selection of bullets in factory ammo.

Enjoy whichever you want.
Made my decision and will be getting this rifle in a 30-06. My son will most likely end up with this rifle for a graduation present.

I have a short action that's begging for a 7-08 chambered barrel.
Will be putting this one in a McMillan A3 stock
Printed action, full floated barrel
Full length glass bed the action
Install target trigger set at 1 pound
Badger Ord 20MOA rails
Top it all off with a Vortex target scope.

That should cure my 7mm itch.

While I'm waiting to do all that, I'll be looking forward to getting this one back to ring it out on the range before heading to deer camp this November. Hopefully will get it back before then. Heard a lot about Mr. Coleman's rifles, and after talking to him on the phone at length about this build, I'm really excited to get it back.