Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Got a new toy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Got a new toy

So i have been slowly getting into rifle hunting over the past couple of years and have been shooting a savage .308 and have been very successful with it taking 4 antelope and some mule deer. I wanted to get someting new and stoped by the local gun shop and he had a new Savage Long Range hunter in .300 wsm so i picked it up. Now i know its no custom rifle and it isnt gonna be a 1000yd shooter out of the box but its what i can afford with the economy and child support being what it is.
So i am gonna start with adding a picatinny rail and i already have a nikon monarch 5-20x44 scope i am gonna use for now to get me shooting.

I was wondering what other inexpensive things i can do right away to make it shoot better. I have heard good things about the final finish bullets has any body tried these? Also i am going to be reloading and i have about 300 rds of winchester brass i got from a buddy for free. I also have some hornady 165 gr interbonds and some berger 210 vlds i want to try to work up a load for does anybody have any pet loads they like to shoot?
I am considering a laminate tactical stock and bed it.
Like i said i am not looking to be able to shoot to 1000 yds but wouldnt mind if 500 yds was doable in the near future. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Got a new toy

I'd start with the stock. A solid, stable platform, and proper bedding are critical (accustock doesn't cut it, sorry Savage). Boyds and Stockys have laminates for great prices. Tune the trigger, and develop a load.

The 210 Berger is superb. H1000 in the mid sixties will perform great. Start around 60 grains and work up.

The 300WSM and a 210 berger has got way more than a 1000 yards of reach. Get the barreled action in a stable platform, and develop a load. You're good to go!

Your scope will work. Have fun!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Get your accustock bedded with devcon. It will be the cheapest up grade. Consistency is the rule to long range. Sounds like a fun project. If you think about a stock upgrade, go to Stockade Stocks. He offers a money saver model that you can finish on your own.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

As tank said bed the stock first. I know lots of people who like the acustock. This gun might surprise you on what it can do. You don't need a custom rifle to shoot 1 moa at a 1000. But I'm not saying every out of the box rifle will either. Shoot it and see how it groups. Use final finish as a last resort.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

I guess I should have suggested shooting it first and see how it does. May surprise you! I like Savage and think they make a good product. As far as the brass, try the Winchester, but when you can afford to do so, go with the Norma or Remington. Use plain bullets for your barrel break in. Shoot 1 and clean for 5 shots. Shoot 2 and clean for 5 cycles. Then shoot 5 and a clean for 5 cycles. Shoot 10 and clean for a few more. By this time you should be about done with barrel break in.
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys wondering if i should get a 20 moa rail for the scope or if a standard would do.
Also i found these stocks and really like them what do you guys think.

Tactical Style
Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

From what I've heard, they fit well, but you have to finish the stock and do the final fitting.

Tank