Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Got my new long range shooter!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: Got my new long range shooter!!

Thats a crazy flute on the barrel!

I bet none of you have a .234 (6mm rem necked to .234)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

Awesome rifle, and interesting choice of caliber. When you get a chance fill us in on the details on the rifle and keep us posted on how it shoots.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 AM
Bronze Member

Let’s see, here are a few more details on the gun. Total weight about 11 pounds, 2 of that is the scope. Brux interrupted fluted barrel finished at 27 inches. I believe Jim called the contour a light Palma. The brake is an E-xtreme brake by Straight Shot Gunsmithing. Stayed with a Remington trigger as I was told Jewel triggers don’t handle field conditions as well. Jim got this one tuned out crisp and clean. Pacific tool and gauge bolt with sako style extractor. Jim put an extended mag box in. 140 vld’s just off the lands still won’t fit in the box. Here is a photo of the top of the brake.

This was the highest velocity I got out of a Danzac coated 140 vld with a sticky bolt. Dropped a grain and shot several without signs of pressure. Love the Hybrid V100 Hodgen powder.

Last edited by akhunter; 02-16-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 AM

Wow I really like the look of that brake, if fact I like the look of the whole rifle. It looks like just what I'm after to tame my 7mm-300wm without the added concussion and noise blast.
How effective is it at reducing felt recoil?
how loud is it?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

Jim, makes a break he calls a muscle brake. I had one installed on a lighter weight 300wsm I had built for a bear client. It worked well and really tamed the thing down. It was really easy to clean as well, just big holes through the side like the barrel on a tank. Jim has Nathan at Straight Shot time and tig weld on his bolt handles so when I asked Jim about putting on one of Nathans brakes he said no problem. I tried the X-treme brake by Nathan at Straight Shot Gunsmithing because I wanted to try something new and I thought it looked cool. Nathan claimed it was built for maximum effectiveness on his web site. There is no muzzle jump at all and virtually no felt recoil on my rifle. If you can keep from blinking you can see it all through the scope. I really like it! Bottom line is Jim is a great guy and does impeccable work. Ive heard the same about Nathan at SS but there is a line and a wait for both of them.

Here is a quote and another photo from SS web site.
" Fact: muzzle brakes are NOT for everybody as they do increase noise for the shooter, but they are very effective at reducing recoil. I believe there is no brake quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection, so I designed my brake for maximum efficiency.
Here is a side view of the brake.
Also Straight Shot muzzle break address Straight Shot Gunsmithing

Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice looking rifle!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

I really like that muzzle brake too. How do you like the grey bull stock? It looks great on your rifle. Also, those are some screaming fast velocities you're getting.