Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Goofy groups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2004, 08:33 PM

Goofy groups

My "problem child" is still at it. I loaded up some MK's and shot it this weekend. I had 2 shots at about1/4" and 1 was 2" lower. I tried pressure bedding with a business card-no change. If I superimposed the groups, I'd have 2 very nice groups with 2/3 of the holes in the top group and 1/3 of the holes in the bottom group. What do I do? Firelap? Handlapping? Rescope? what are your thoughts?
Old 02-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Goofy groups

Could be bedding, or stress in the barrel, or it might not like the bullets you are feeding it.

Also, is it the first shot thats 2" low. Is it always the same shot number??

More info is neccesary

[ 02-22-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:19 PM

I'm not really sure which shot it is. It was just a nice day and I grabbed and ran.Not many 35 degree days with no wind this time of year in South Dakota. I'm thinking its the first. The fouling group was not as pronounced a vertical spread, but more of a horizontal spread between the top 2 shots.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Also, it could be the effects of a bipod. The first thing that came to mind was a "cold bore" shot.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Having identical problem with a Rem 721 in '06. Just restocked w/laminated thumbhole stock which is quite flexible on the fore end. BBL is floated enough that that shouldn't make a difference.

The rifle shot fine for 54 years with 2 different stocks. Barrel is in good internal shape also.

Will do some more load development in the next few days. Will post anything definitive.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:04 PM

A smith told me to turn the scope 90 degrees and see if the groups turn also. That will be my next test.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

We had that problem this past fall when sitting in for deer season. My brother in law and I where shooting in his brother in laws rifle and we had that same problem. We both thought I was his cheap trashco scope. But for the deers sake we took off the scope and started fresh and found a loose scope base. A couple of drops of lock tight and remounted the scope and things the groups tightend right up. He still ended up missing go figure. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]