Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A good western SD day *pics*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: A good western SD day *pics*

That's cool you have a wife willing to go hunting and support your habit. Good shooting.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman View Post
What caliber and bullet are you using?

We are shooting my new custom 7mm SAUM that Jim See built a few months ago. The load I'm using right now is 56.5 gr of RL17 and 168 gr Bergers pushed at about 3050 fps.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 11-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Congrats Jen and Ryan. Nice shooting.

Careful Ryan, next year you might be building a "Hers' rifle"

We are already talking about it. She wants hers to have a carbon barrel so it doesn't weight 13 lbs like mine. The farthest she has shot is just over 500 yds. She was busting clay birds with almost every shot.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

So I am trying to make the 7mm decision. How far would you be comfortable harvesting game with that caliber? I have read up on the caliber and people seem to think it is the cats meow for the short mags in the 7 category. What is your opinion? I am deciding between rebarreling my 300WSM or barreling for 7mmRem Mag, or 7 SAUM. How many rounds do you expect to get down the tube before failure? Have you thought about shooting the 180's or pretty happy with the 168's? Have you tried the 162 A-Max? Sorry for all the questions, but someone with a caliber I am interested in is a good person to turn to for solid information.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
So I am trying to make the 7mm decision. How far would you be comfortable harvesting game with that caliber? I have read up on the caliber and people seem to think it is the cats meow for the short mags in the 7 category. What is your opinion? I am deciding between rebarreling my 300WSM or barreling for 7mmRem Mag, or 7 SAUM. How many rounds do you expect to get down the tube before failure? Have you thought about shooting the 180's or pretty happy with the 168's? Have you tried the 162 A-Max? Sorry for all the questions, but someone with a caliber I am interested in is a good person to turn to for solid information.

Tank

I would be more than comfortable shooting out to 1K with good conditions. I am not sure how long the barrel is going to last but I expect to get at least 1500 rounds through it. I feel one key to getting longer barrel life is not trying to push the bullet as fast as possible. I know that I can push it faster with the current powder that I am using right now, but I am more than willing to trade a little speed for the longevity of my barrel! I picked the 7 SAUM mainly due to its relative unpopularity. Most articles I have read about people using the short mags were the 7 WSM. And since I am not the type of person who follows the current trends, I went with the SAUM. I am shooting the 168's right now because that is the only 7mm Bergers I can find in the area. The only regret that I have with this rifle is not doing it sooner....or if you ask my wife not putting on the lighter carbon barrel.

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Nice hunt and excellent shooting! Love the 7mm.

Stu.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Congrats: Man did that walk in stuff get hammered or what?? I assume you were in Butte co.