Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Good rifle for hunting Eland at long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM

Good rifle for hunting Eland at long range?

Well I'm thinking about taking up a offer on a hunt in Texas on a Eland hunt, He is long range friendly, and all of that. Well I have the following calibers for long range that I use to shoot pretty much all the time,

308 Win Model 70
300 Rum Model 700 custom
338 Lapua Savage 110

And a 7mm Ultra magnum

Which of the following would be good for a Eland and possibly other big animals? They are pretty darn big.. I'm thinking the 338 would be good enough..
Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Good rifle for hunting Eland at long range?

Rem 700 .300 RUM oughtta stop the old pump-station...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

My dad shot his Eland in September with a 30.06 Springfield when we were in South Africa. It was only about 130 yards but it was plenty enough to kill such a large animal. I'm not sure how far you'll be shooting but if its here in Texas I'd probably say the 300 RUM should be a great choice. I'd use the Lapua for anything beyond the 1,000 yard mark and the RUM for 1,000 and closer. I kind of like shooting magnum cartridges so I probably would pass on the .308 nothing against it, I know some people shoot them well even at long range, but my preference is to be able to shoot heavier bullets faster out of the magnums.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

All the rifles you listed would work fine, but I would not chose the 308 for LR work. Depends how far you plan to shoot. On 800 yards or more, I would go with the 338. That's just me though. If you risk paying for a lost animal, the 338 is my only choice!

I have killed one very large Eland in Africa with a 338-378 Wby and all shots were at about 150 yards right on the left shoulder with 225 nosler Part's. It took 4 shots to completely stop the animal. All fatal shots!

This was just my experience, it can be a tough animal, much bigger then a bull elk!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

"What works for elk will work for eland".
I find them to be just as elusive and tough. Choose your cartridge and bullet accordingly.