Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

good long range video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

good long range video

I found this good video surfing around.
YouTube - long range
Old 03-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

Nice link. I'll be looking for that video.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

me too!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Ol John takes a lot of heat for some reason, he must come across funny or something:confused: Maybe his social skills are a little low......

But.........

If you watch those animals go down, the back feet drop first in almost all cases. I was told that that is due to a high shoulder shot. If that's the case this isn't an exhibition of really good shooting its an exhibition of really great shooting. Of course I figure we are seeing only the successes.

I've watched the entire CD a couple of times and its pretty good except for when he gets on the soap box.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Ol John takes a lot of heat for some reason, he must come across funny or something:confused: Maybe his social skills are a little low......

But.........

If you watch those animals go down, the back feet drop first in almost all cases. I was told that that is due to a high shoulder shot. If that's the case this isn't an exhibition of really good shooting its an exhibition of really great shooting. Of course I figure we are seeing only the successes.

I've watched the entire CD a couple of times and its pretty good except for when he gets on the soap box.
what cals do you think they're using?
Old 03-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diderr View Post
what cals do you think they're using?

Most of that video they are using 7mm's with 168 grain VLD's, but there are a few guys using a 300 RUM. Pretty good video. There is a companion DVD called "How to Shoot Beyond Belief" that has some excellent information in it (10 hours long), but most of it is pretty basic.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

I have the video as well. I like it, my kids like it, and I recruited another long range shooter/hunter from him listening to me and watching what can be done. The only thing I didn't like about it was when he lets his camera man or something shoot an antelope at something like 700yards. I haven't watched it in a while but I think that is the first time the guy has ever shot that far. Then in the show John says you shouldn't shoot at animals at distances you aren't proven on, kinda hypocritical to me. If any of my info is incorrect I am sorry. I also seen The Best of the West hunting show the other day on tv and was kinda disappointed. They did the same thing with a guy on a bull elk at over 800yards, he had the rifle over a log and the elk was walking. They tried to justify it by saying he shot a target out to 800yards the day befor and they were coaching him. In both cases they were saying it was the good equipment that was basically doing all the work, and the tv show seemed more like an info-mertial. They made it sound like (to me) that if you wanna shoot animals way the hell out there all you need is one of their rifles or scopes. I have been trained as a sniper, a designated marksman, and I am my companies weapon sgt/trainer and I won't take a shot at an animal past what I have proven to myself over and over again. I don't want to sound preachy or anything, to each his own, but don't tell people not to shoot at an animal if you aren't truely prepared and then do the exact opposite on national tv!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.