Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Good Hunting Fishing Story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Good Hunting Fishing Story

still can't see the story, just copy and paste it over here.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Inukshuk

I'm really interested in your story but hesitate to register on yet another site. I my poor knoggin is cluttered w/usernames and passwords that I can't even find the note book where they are listed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I would really appreciate it if you would copy and paste it over here plus any pics you have of your area. It sounds like a choice place to be.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 PM
SPONSOR

Inukshuk don't be so damn sensative! Sheesh, it was a comment about your faulty link not a personal shot at you.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Inukshuk don't be so damn sensative! Sheesh, it was a comment about your faulty link not a personal shot at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

OKAY
It's just that I've seen so many people in other forums that were... well I won't say it and I'm a member of over 40 and some of the attitude is left to be desired. Maybe I've seen to much of it.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Okay per request I'm bringing the story over. To bad you have to register to have access though. I was surprised to find that out.

To start out with I wasn't sure if I should tell it, but it's to hilarious.
To start out with this is my stock 30-06 with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8x and I had changed load and forgot to re-zero my rifle, so it took a while for me to finally hit this stubborn caribou. This was in Aug 2002 and two of my brother's came up for a visit bringing one of my nephews along. We went on a 3.5 hr atv trip overnight fishing with them, plus my boy and a friend and the next day we went a little farther on a different trail. Then I saw this lone caribou which was pretty far if you can spot him in the first picture.

Couldn't hit him because of above mentioned reason, so waited for him to get a bit closer, Then one shot and we heard a loud thump and down he went.

Now one of my brother's with my buddy all excited started running down the hill to check him out, but then suddenly the old caribou gets up wounded and starts heading into the lake. Total panick and didn't want to loose him, so my brother pulls out his handgun running as fast as he could and shooting him as if he had an AR and now caribou officially dead in the water. Now how are we going to get him out and not knowing how deep it was.
Well I said I'll cast my fishing rod and see if I can catch his antlers and try to pull him in.

It worked for a while but then his antlers hit bottom and then I tried to go in slowly with an atv to pull him out, but then water went up my exhaust and drowned the atv and it had to get pulled out.

Next try, my nephew gets undressed to his shorts and heads out into this warm water with a cable to hook around it's head "antlers to pull it in.

I now went in a bit withy another atv to finish pulling that animal out soaking wet and voila.

What a week-end and because of the hand gun that thought it was an AR, one of the rear legs "a**" completely destroyed, but at least we got him one way or the other. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Now for gun laws in Canada it's the same every where, but hunting laws up north are different because it's native territory, but the hand gun was of desperation as mentioned above.
This is in Inukjuak northern Quebec 58.5th parallel. About 1,000 miles north of Montreal.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

A few more pics of all of us except the camera guy.

ENJOY [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Shuk, thanks for the great story and pics. my hat goes off to "Joe boxer" i remember being the one that had to part with my insulation and tie a rope on to a moose antler when it slid off the beaver dam we were trying to cross.