Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Good Gun Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Good Gun Build

I am starting to feel kind of weathered in already by the approach of winter so that means winter indoor projects like a possible gun build. The equipment is as follows, A Select Match Series Shilen Barrel preferably a 1 in 9 inch twist or maybe 1 in 8, I am not sure, I'd would like to use the target bullets I have which are the Berger 168 VLD's, an A-5 Mcmillan Stock, Jewel Trigger, Stiller Action(I think the Predator Series would work), then for optics, a 8-32 x 56 NXS made by Nightforce. I have used the stiller action and jewell trigger both so those are stuck in, and looked through a Nightforce scope that a friend had, and that is to stay more than likely. So the stock and barrel are up in the air. Any suggestions or other equipment to go and check out? thank you.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Good Gun Build

What caliber rifle are you going to build??? What is the perpous of the gun??? I personally like the Savage actions because the barrels are so easy to change, and I do shoot out chambers on some of the wildcats I play with.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:20 PM

I want a 7mm rem magnum since I already have all of the reloading gear for this particular gun. The purpose would be a good thing to keep me busy during the winter, a really top notch longer range rifle possibly for hunting as well, and having a top quality rifle that I built myself.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

I have a blueprinted 700 that wears a 1-9 7mm Shilen select #4 in 7mm Rem mag, and I just ordered another 7mm 1-9 #3 from Shilen and I've not fully decided what I'm going to build with it. I also have another 7 Rem Mag with a 26" Krieger, Predator action, MCM stock, jewel trigger.

Hope to get to the range sometime soon.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Barrels, You can buy a Shilen sel match grade crabon wrapped of Chistensen arms. I had one put on my weatherby and it came back shooting 1/2'' and less out of the box with factory ammo. I would also get thier Titanuim Muzzle brake that is removal with a cap, at time if you choose not to shoot with the brake on.

Actions.; if I had to look into actions I would look at McMillian or Jim bordens. I like short bolt throws so have a weatherby Mark V, but you'll have to go with a timney trigger.

Scopes. When I was scope shopping I was looking at all the scopes till I learned that second focal plane scopes you really have to shoot them at pre sighted in magnifications because Your image does not equally change in size with your crosshairs and will not have the same accuracy at ALL magnifications. I dont konw how off it could be, but I cant see spending a G plus on a Variable scope that really is variable. So I went with Schmidt&Bender Mil LP GEN II 3X12X50

Scope ring and Bases. I would look at Near Mfg.

This was my idea here.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 PM

All great things to keep in mind. That muzzle break is really interesting, definetly going to look at that. thanks dirtboy

So Derek M., how do you like the 7mm Rem Mag with the Krieger barrel on it? Thats real close to the things I mentioned that I want in my possible gun build. I know Krieger barrels are good but I don't have any personal experience with them. Would you recommend them or go for a Shilen? I know Hart Barrels are great to. Choices, choices, choices, .
Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtboy View Post
Scopes. When I was scope shopping I was looking at all the scopes till I learned that second focal plane scopes you really have to shoot them at pre sighted in magnifications because Your image does not equally change in size with your crosshairs and will not have the same accuracy at ALL magnifications. I dont konw how off it could be, but I cant see spending a G plus on a Variable scope that really is variable. So I went with Schmidt&Bender Mil LP GEN II 3X12X50
you do not have to sight in 2nd focal plane reticles any different then 1st focal plane at all. your "Accuracy" does not change at all at different powers. the only difference is that to use the moa spacing that is in some reticles you need to be at the highest power(on NXS anyway) the bad thing about 1st focal plane is the reticles gets bigger when you change power and can cover more of the target then 2nd plane.

there are up and down sides to both 1st and 2nd plane. but i would save the money and buy 2nd plane.