Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A Good Bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 PM

A Good Bullet?

Hi, new here, been reading some good stuff. I have used barnes bullets in the past with good results. But I have also heard some not so good stories about them. I am shooting a 7mm RUM and want to make a new load. What do you recommend for distance and accuracy? THANKS!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A Good Bullet?

Hunting or target? What game?

Barnes still makes some very good bullets, but when it comes to precision accuracy at long range they are somewhat lacking in much of their line.

I've had extremely good performance out of my Hornady Interlock and Interbonds for everything from Jackrabbits at 600yds to large boar (excess of 500lbs) out to around 900yds in my 7mm STW.

For a target bullet it's very hard to beat the Berger's, but I'm not sold on them as a hunting bullet because at shorter ranges/higher velocities they tend to shell out pretty badly.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

+1

It also depends on what your rifle likes.

My 7RM Sendero likes the 180g Bergers and they have a very good BC. I don't have enough personal hunting data to say when Wildrose's concern about terminal performance would be justified. I do know that 7STW and 7RUM are much faster than the old 7RemMag.

Some swear by Berger and some swear at Berger. But, they are no doubt used and discussed a lot by folks on LRH.

-- richard
Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid2012 View Post
7STW and 7RUM are much better.
Better is relative. I've owned .284, 7mm mag, 7stw. I like faster, and I don't mind absorbing the recoil but for a lot of people the payoff doesn't make it worth it for the extra FPS.

All things being equal though I'm in the same boat with you.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 AM

THANKS FOR THE REPLY(S)!!

I will be hunting Elk/Deer mostly. Antelope in Colorado next year. Not much else due to where I live now. Not much to hunt in Louisiana unless your a member of a hunting club. So out here there would just be shooting at a range (100-200 yrd limits) unless I found someones land to shoot a bit farther. I can change bullets for the antelope hunt, but would rather have just 1 to work with and learn. I may just stick with Barnes but move up to the 150gr from 140. Thanks Again!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

I would load the 180 Bergers. Take a look at the energy of the selected bullet at distances and also your skill level. Then decide what distance you feel good about shooting the choosen game. If you are not sure you can put it in the vitals area, don't shoot.

We purposely shot game with 210 Bergers from a 30-378 Wby at close distances to see for ourselves what the bullets do. Closest shot was at 60 yrds. Results were very very dead game with complete pass throughs even when shoulder shots were taken. The only bad part was a a complete loss of the front quarter and in some cases both shoulders. I would expect this from about any bullet from a 30-378 up close. The amount of game I personally have taken with Bergers is almost endless, and at all distances. I will withhold my experiences and comments on solids as I am not looking for a debate.

Shoot for the crease right behind the shoulder. Intersect the far shoulder if this shot is presented. Bottom line, place em well and you will have no problem.

To place em well at long range it takes accuracy and practice. You stated in your OP you wanted accuracy. Shoot Bergers and practice often.

Good luck and let us know how the new load shoots.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

If you're doing most (if not all) of your practice shooting at 100-200yds you aren't going to see a whole lot of performance advantage with either bullet. Coming out west for a big game hunt, it's possible to assume your "maximum" shooting limit is not going to be super long (speaking of your 100-200yd practice restrictions). I'm going to say, if the Barnes are working great for you stick with them, inside 500 the Bergers aren't going to offer a whole heck of a lot of advantage. They are cheaper, will offer a little better wind drift... it really depends on what you're doing with them or intend to do with them. As far as accuracy goes (wind not included), they are, at least in my experience quite capable, the Berger is going to offer more room for error "way out there" for sure, but confidence in what your are already familiar/experienced with is more important/usefull than BC alone.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...... or is that: If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is?