Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Good brand of muzzle break

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 12:59 PM

Good brand of muzzle break

Im looking for a good muzzle break to put on my long range gun being built. I have never had a muzzle break on a rifle before so I dont know what is good. I was anting a nbreak that I could take off when hunting and put back on when on the bench, because of the length of the barrel im having put on. I would appreciate an advice.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Good brand of muzzle break

Model70 fan, I had A break installed by Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge on my Savage 116 in 300 win, and I must say he did an awesome job! It does exactly what he said it would do, The recoil is almost non-existant and NO muzzle jump, I can spot my own shots at 600 and beyond. I dont know if he makes a break that is removible but when my girlfriends 12 year old daughter can shoot this gun and shoot it well that says alot about Shawns work.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Gold Member

The Painkiller Brake from Allen Precision Shooting (Fiftydriver) is awesome. Most competent smiths can manufacture a thread protector you can screw on should you want to use the rifle sans brake. You wont be disappointed with Fifty's brake!

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 06-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Gold Member

I have an origional CSR (Center Shot Rifles) break on my custom 7 SAUM and I love it (the rifle was also built by Jim See of CSR). From a solid shooting position I can spot my hits at 300+. Jim is an excellent craftsman and has matching customer service. He also makes the muscle break, that will me on my next build (.338 Lapua Imp).

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

I've put a few of the Muscle Brakes on and they are by far the best over all brake I've shot. I've shot some that might reduce the recoil just a little more but the concussion to the shooter and anyone near by is insane, I have not had any concussion from the Muscle brake and it's sweet to shoot and see bullet holes appear in the paper
Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

All of the brakes mentioned previously are great choices. You didn't mention if you will be doing any prone shooting, if so you will want a directional brake that vents the gases out of the side. I have the lil bastard break from APA on my LR rifle and it works great, very similar to the other brakes mentioned. My smith also made a knurled thread protector so I can remove the brake, although there is a slight POI change when I remove the brake but it is constistent and easy to account for.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

All of the above recommendations are excellent. Here's a couple more choices (from LRH sponsor/member) for your consideration ...

Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply and Straight Shot Gunsmithing

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.