Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Going to attempt my first bedding job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Going to attempt my first bedding job

Someone had mentioned Devcon plastic steel, would this be an appropriate bedding compound for a wood/laminate stock. Should I do a skim bed or a full bed? Does a full bed mean that I need to remove extra material from the stock? This is a picture of my stock, where else am I supposed to remove material from? I am leaving the tang alone and I am placing electical tape around the barrel to give a free float to where a dollar bill can wiz in between the barrel and stock with no hang ups. I will not be bedding the barrel channel. I will be using either kiwi shoe polish or the green turte wax (someone used it on a different site) as I would be able to see it better agains the black of the action and barrel. I am going to use play dough to dam everything up but am I supposed to let it dry first? Am I supposed to let the tang sit freely and put tape around the barrel? What happens if there is a slight incline to the rifle? Any advice would be great. I thank EVERY1 in advance

Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Going to attempt my first bedding job

Here is a good read, don't know if you saw this one.

Stress-Free Pillar Bedding

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

If I had the tools I would have definitly given that a go. When my $$$ is right I am going to get myself a drill press. I have done some research and i feel very confident. I actually installed my first grind to fit recoil pad 2day by turning my belt sander upside down, locking it in my vise and grinding the recoil pad and it came out awesome. Im on a that came out awesome streak

Last edited by Southernfryedyankee; 08-15-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post
If I had the tools I would have definitly given that a go. When my $$$ is right I am going to get myself a drill press. I have done some research and i feel very confident. I actually installed my first grind to fit recoil pad 2day by turning my belt sander upside down, locking it in my vise and grinding the recoil pad and it came out awesome. Im on a that looks awesome streak

Even if your not pillar bedding, it's a good read to get a little more familiar with how bedding is done.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Don't remove the material or bed the area in front of the recoil lug. The third circle from the left. Do do anything there

Last edited by geargrinder; 08-15-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

this is a good thread for me as i am planing on bedding my rifle some time here in the nere future
another kind of compund i have been hearing about for bedding is marine-tex gray
dose any one know if one kind of bedding compound is notably better than another or is it mostly personal preferance
Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Everyone has their favorite. Devcon, Marine-Tex, Acra-Glass gel, the list goes on.

It really boils down to personal preference.

I use JB weld and Kiwi shoe polish. It works good for me. A little on the liquid side, but I really like the working time and availability.

If I was going to bed rifles for a living I'd probably be using the Devcon putty.