Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Going 308, which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Going 308, which one?

All of the 308's are good choices. I too think it comes down to what you are using it for.

1. Remington Mil-spec 5R - all those good reviews can't be wrong. I have even been tempted myself.

2. DPMS - I will agree with one of the other posters that it depends on the barrel. I have a Krieger on mine and it will shoot .5MOA with the right load. This barrel has impressed me enough that I am looking at them for other builds. The triggers on these stink, so I would look at getting an aftermarket trigger. I will warn you that this thing is heavy and for me sits on the bench or on the ground. I ain't packing this monster.

3. Savage - I like your setup idea. I will say though that an out of the box Savage is pretty accurate. I had the chance to work with 2 this year, a 22-250 in the 12FVSS platform and a 110 in 7mm RM that I wend on to do a bedding job and trigger change to a Timney. These have been very impressive. The 22-250 easily shoots around .5 MOA. It is good enough that I will not mess with it. If you go through with this build, go with the Shilen barrel. I have been more impressed with them.

I would probably go with the Rem 700 if it were me.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 AM
Silver Member

I have owned and shot all 3.

The 5r will bust apples at 400 but a little heavy for stalking deer and lugging up trees.

The dpms i had was a 16" and very accurate,.05 at 100 ,but fed terrible.
I tried many different brands of factory ammo but always failed to feed every mag.

The savages are great for the price,most are sub moa,and I love the accu-trigger I have the model 10 precision carbine and it seems to be a keeper.

good luck
Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

I'm going to have to go with the Savage action. I own two of them and have shot four different Savages with the Accu-Trigger. All shoot well under sub MOA with factory tubes. I have one target that I shot a .25" group at 100yrds. I can regularly shoot a .75" or less group depending on the day and my patience!

One of the four I have shot prints .5MOA all day. It is a 32" Douglas heavy barrel on a Savage Target action in .338 Lapua. First 3 shot group at 1050 yards measured 5 inches. Hain't to shabby!!!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 12-01-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
i vote savage, theyre are prone to excellent accuracy out of the box

im doing a savage build very similar to yours very soon. i think im going with a manners T2 stock though, hope its not too heavy
+1 savages are a hell of a deal for a out of the box rifle. the new one that have come in the last few years have a lot of higher end parts and shoot great. they have did there home work on what people want and put it in there rifles. they are coming out with a new long range rifle this coming year. i love my savages 223,243,308,30-06AI,300wsm,300rum,338edge and they all shoot under .5"