Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Going for 1000yds Tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 08:29 AM
SPONSOR

Going for 1000yds Tonight

Well tonight will be the first real attempt at a 1000yd prairie dog kill, my previous best was 710yds. Me and Bill Bailey are going out to dog town tonight after work and hopefully we will drop some lead on a dogs head a little over a half mile away. We are going to try the exbal program in a palm pilot and Bill seems to think it will really work good. Most of our shots will be with his 243 win using the 105 a-max but I am also going to try my 22-250 with the 55gr ballistic tips. Hope to be posting some pics tonight or tommorrow of me and Bill joining the 1k club in VHA.

Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 07-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Going for 1000yds Tonight

Lerch,

Give 'em hell and good luck. Remember that get getting close to a P. dog at that range is an accomplishment so if you don;t get a hit right away, this is normal [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]! Just keep at it. I always say you learn as much with a near miss as you do with a hit so just see what happens and have a good time.

Let us know how things perform even if there are no hits tonight!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Good luck and may the varmint and wind gods be with you!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

Lerch, good luck.
Got my first 3 rounds off on a groundhog at about 1K a month ago and was 30 feet off. LOL
After the 1st shot, the groundhog just sat there looking around and then started to move. My next shot hit closer while it was moving and was holding off on elevation and windage using my mildots. On the 3rd shot it's really moving across the field and lobbed one in for fun. Never got much closer than 20 feet in back and below it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Couldn't get the lead worked out right. Figured if I hit a mover at that distance I'd have something to brag about. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Lerch,
Give 'em hell and good luck. Remember that get getting close to a P. dog at that range is an accomplishment so if you don;t get a hit right away, this is normal [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]! Just keep at it. I always say you learn as much with a near miss as you do with a hit so just see what happens and have a good time.
Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that count for 600 and 700 yard groundhogs too? I'm missing by an inch or so at times with the 308 and it gets a bit frustrating...
My longest is still at 522yards.
Allen
Old 07-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Allen,

Its all relative my friend. If someone is using a full custom heavy rifle and they have a decent level of skill, a miss at 500 to 600 yards would be unacceptible if by much more then the hair on the chuck.

Now if your shooting a factory rifle, 500 yards is a hell of long shot so you really need to relate the difficulty of the shot to the person and equipment used. Thats why its important to only compete to make yourself a better shot, not to try to match someone else because there will always be someone out there that will make you look like a fool.

Push yourself and your equipment and it will suprise you how fast you either outgrow the gear you have now or get much better at longer ranges.

I think we should bay alot more attention to our misses then hits. Hell on a hit, everything went correctly, just remember to do the same things and keep going but with misses, its important to understand why we missed. Not to make excusses for missing but knowing what caused the incorrect flight path makes correcting it easier down the road.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-06-2005, 01:51 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
Now if your shooting a factory rifle, 500 yards is a hell of long shot so you really need to relate the difficulty of the shot to the person and equipment used.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we'll be doing pretty good if we manage to kill one tonight. We're shooting a stock Savage 12BVSS .243 win.

I haven't shot it much at these extreme distances, but 400-500 yd shots have become very routine. I would say I probably have a 75% hit rate on pds @ these ranges. It'll probably be 0% @ 1000 and beyond!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Gold Member

Look on the bright side bill! At least you will be out shooting and having a good time!
Good luck to you guys and I hope to see some pics of splattered 1K prarrie poodles on your next post! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]