Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

To go Improved or not on 338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Bronze Member

Re: To go Improved or not on 338 Lapua

Bravo, the thing about lapua brass is that it is very overbuilt. You can max out the loads and still get a few extra reloads per case over standard loads in, say, the remmy brass. Now I am not saying that the .338 lap is the best thing out there. It isn't, the edge is a phenomenal cartridge. Shawn Carlock has proved this over and over as many of the rest of those who can stretch it out. But with the lap I have seen guys getting as many as 15 reloads out of one case (obviously not over maxed loads at all). But anyway, who doesn't want more????? That's why I am fighting those little voices in my head that are telling me to send my barrel to Kirby..........
Old 01-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, 15 firings out of each case...ok ya got me on that one. I don't know the particulars but it sounds like it's loaded down. If i wanted a .338 Win id get a .338 Win. I don't anneal and usually after 5 toss them into a box. Good thing because I can use them with the new barrel I have ordered.
I was also under the impression that improving a cartridge can extend brass life if not ran too hard. Anybody confirm that for me?

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Bronze Member

Well like I said the fellas getting that much life out of there Lapua brass aren't working them too hard, and they anneal religiously. I have heard of expecting 10 loadings before worrying about the integrity. So I base my price per load off of that generally. Again that doesn't include those loads that are maxed out and showing too much pressure.
Now about improving the case and getting better life..... my (and only my opinion) logic tells me that stretching the brass out to a new dimension would actually decrease it's usable life. By how much....... well I don't know. I asked Kirby that as well and with a moderate load recipe I would imagine it would not affect it by more than 1 or 2 loadings. I digress.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Wow, 15 firings out of each case...ok ya got me on that one. I don't know the particulars but it sounds like it's loaded down. If i wanted a .338 Win id get a .338 Win.
I have kept track of mine in a log book. When I had the std .338 LM built I bought 2 boxes of Lapua brass (200) The loads have always been 91.5 or 92.5 gr of H-1000, the majority fired were 92.5 not a light load by far. Every shot being 300 gr bullets @ 2795 ~ 2805 fps. I have never opened the second box of brass as the first 100 are doing fine. Most of them have been fired 14 times and some will be loaded for their 15th time soon. I do anneal, and use bushing dies to only size what is needed. The primer pockets are all still tight and very consistant. I use a hand primer tool and every primer in all 100 feel the same going in. I still have the 2nd box of 100 cases, guess I will use them for the next barrel, but this barrel still shoots as good as it did new (1/2 moa to well past 1000)

I wanted to post this as I feel it is solid data of my own and some might be interested.

Jeff
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Bronze Member

Speaking of an AE would anyone be will to sell me an unloaded (dummy) round seated to 3.745" with a 300 grainer???? I wouldn't mind having one on hand to check feed and..... well bottom line push me over the brink. I shoot mainly the bergers but any of them would do.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have kept track of mine in a log book. When I had the std .338 LM built I bought 2 boxes of Lapua brass (200) The loads have always been 91.5 or 92.5 gr of H-1000, the majority fired were 92.5 not a light load by far. Every shot being 300 gr bullets @ 2795 ~ 2805 fps. I have never opened the second box of brass as the first 100 are doing fine. Most of them have been fired 14 times and some will be loaded for their 15th time soon. I do anneal, and use bushing dies to only size what is needed. The primer pockets are all still tight and very consistant. I use a hand primer tool and every primer in all 100 feel the same going in. I still have the 2nd box of 100 cases, guess I will use them for the next barrel, but this barrel still shoots as good as it did new (1/2 moa to well past 1000)

I wanted to post this as I feel it is solid data of my own and some might be interested.

Jeff
I do find this interesting. I'm sure that the annealing and minimal sizing help extend the life, but as far as I know would have nothing to do with the primer pockets remaining tight. That brass must be some good stuff. Especially since your load seems pretty standard to what others use (close to max) and around what other Edge users get with same performance.
I still have the question about improving a cartridge and brass life. I thought I read somewhere that if you take the taper away and sharpen the shoulder that the forward flow of brass is lessened (less case stretching). I'm sure neck or minimal sizing helps that as well.
I think I need to get into annealing as well considering my brass probably gets work hardened by necking up before I even load the first round.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Silver Member

Wait for Reloader 33 if it ever actually hits the market ( I have little faith in ATK for the Sportsman) They say May or so but they are highly proned to neglecting us in favor of Large contracts as evidenced by the Federal Match Primer " We don't care about you any more B.S."