Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

"GIVIN' IT TO THE GOAT- 338 EDGE STYLE 692 yards"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

"GIVIN' IT TO THE GOAT- 338 EDGE STYLE 692 yards"

For my weekend "look" I decided to walk into an area that I hadn't hunted for about 12 months.
I really didn't have any expectations but knew this spot had some real "long range potential"

So down the steep spur I walked to get into the river canyon, found my perch and broke out the gear. Conditions were

655 ft
62 temp
29.33 B.P
61% R H
COS .98 downhill

Things were starting to get late when I caught csome movement in the Leicas and saw a large hind being followed by a huge bodied stag. Great.... things were gonna happen !

They were about 800 away but in a nasty spot to shoot, with very little clear ground to spot the shot. So I waited and got the DVD camera out and let it roll. The deer was making his way in the general direction of a small clearing and I hoped he would present. Well he did !!

Ranged him at 692 yards and waited...

With camera zoomed at 30X and a solid rest I dialled in the dope 12.75 up and .5 left for the small drift up the canyon.

I light the reticle up and hold dead on ..... Booooooom ! Whoooosh WHACK !!!!

The deer is perfect broadside feeding to the left and the round hits perfect behind the front leg. He then leaps about 4 ft in the air and charges off along the slope. I recover enough to track him through the scope and he stops then starts sticking it in reverse. Looking good... Down he goes !

I watch him for 10 min and realise he isn't going anywhere. With darkness all but on me I elect to come back in the AM and do the business.

Here's what I had .. A giant old deer with 20" bent horns, perfectly even on both sides. A good one to get for sure.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: "GIVIN' IT TO THE GOAT- 338 EDGE STYLE 692 yards"

Wow! Nice work! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Nice shot DUH,

That rat sure needed to be taken out of the Sambar population, well done.

I just got back from a week long Goat cull up in NSW. Shot 99 with two noteable long shots. One at 495m with my 338WM and one at 650m with my 25-06. Sure is a lot of fun this long range shooting.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:43 AM
Silver Member

Mate nice shot any more notches in that edge you'll cut her in half.

Mates dad got a real heavy and well pearled stag on saturday around the 28' mark.

I got another guy to cull to does for meat and to reduce numbers on the fallow property. His first 2 deer he was stoked.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Nice shot DUH,

That rat sure needed to be taken out of the Sambar population, well done.

I just got back from a week long Goat cull up in NSW. Shot 99 with two noteable long shots. One at 495m with my 338WM and one at 650m with my 25-06. Sure is a lot of fun this long range shooting.

Thats a couple of great shots mate. 650 with a 25...F**k me !!

How this stag got around with his antlers digging into his shoulders is beyond me ?

DUH
Old 05-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWZ View Post
Mate nice shot any more notches in that edge you'll cut her in half.

Mates dad got a real heavy and well pearled stag on saturday around the 28' mark.

I got another guy to cull to does for meat and to reduce numbers on the fallow property. His first 2 deer he was stoked.

No danger of that mate... It's made of glass !!

DUH
Old 05-18-2009, 05:21 AM
PUBLISHER

Nice going!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors