Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Getting stable in the woods - How do You do it? Creativity thread!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Getting stable in the woods - How do You do it? Creativity thread!!

I used to think the bullet has well left the barrel by the time recoil has kicked in. but now im not so sure after reading alot of nathans info.
Im not sure iif hes on this site but has done alot of research and is worth a read
Hold that Forend!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM

Like others have said use whatever you can find in the field.
2 years ago I shot a deer of my pack, sticks and bent over aspen tree. I've been on benches that didn't feel that stable. Helped that I had 15 minutes to wait while he turned broadside.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP100 View Post
I used to think the bullet has well left the barrel by the time recoil has kicked in. but now im not so sure after reading alot of nathans info.
Im not sure iif hes on this site but has done alot of research and is worth a read
Hold that Forend!

That's an interesting read. There are two opposing trains of thoughts. He seems sure having a repeatable hold on the gun and controlling the recoil is the best idea. I've seen others who think letting the gun react should create the best repeatability. I would think that letting the gun react (i.e. the least interference with what it wants to do in recoil) would be the most mechanically repeatable (takes the human factor out). I've experimented with Airguns (Springers kick both forward, rearward, and slightly rotationally) and I've found that they shoot the best without ANY interference to what the gun wants to do. Who knows how much this carries over to powder burners that kick. Nathan's article definitely gives stats (Group measurements) for controlled vs the cross armed hold.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
That's an interesting read. There are two opposing trains of thoughts. He seems sure having a repeatable hold on the gun and controlling the recoil is the best idea. I've seen others who think letting the gun react should create the best repeatability. I would think that letting the gun react (i.e. the least interference with what it wants to do in recoil) would be the most mechanically repeatable (takes the human factor out). I've experimented with Airguns (Springers kick both forward, rearward, and slightly rotationally) and I've found that they shoot the best without ANY interference to what the gun wants to do. Who knows how much this carries over to powder burners that kick. Nathan's article definitely gives stats (Group measurements) for controlled vs the cross armed hold.
He seems to be the only one out there pushing this method strongly in the hunting scene in NZ. But all the small bore/full bore shooters use slings and there is no doubt about their ability.
I hopefully am going to go up and see him some time soon and see if he can improve/change my shooting??
All the guns bar one I shoot now have supressors fitted(.223,.243,.7mm mag) so recoil isnt really and issue. So I can confidently shoot these on any angle with pretty poor holds at times and still get good shots off. But the 7mm was a completely different gun to shoot with out it and I found it wouldnt shoot off a bipod but would shoot off a sand bag(****** flexi stock fore end fixed with epox).
How do you guys out there get on with big guns(.338 upward)????
Even with muzzel breaks there must be alot of movement

I think hes right about alot of people just taking the easy option with the rear cross arm hold. Ive done a bit of small bore and full bore and afther a couple of rounds your arms are pretty knackered to say the least haha.