Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Getting Ready To Head Out To Wyoming For The Opener Of Elk Season

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2002, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Getting Ready To Head Out To Wyoming For The Opener Of Elk Season

Boy, I'm having trouble sleeping lately. Getting ready for the opener of elk in Wyoming. I've never hunted elk before. I'm taking my 50 bmg with a 338 Lapua for backup. My guide is very excited about the 50 bmg. He says I'm the first long range hunter he's ever had. Man, I've been getting stuff ready/packing for the past two weeks now. Hey, maybe somebody here can tell me how many quarts of cooler do I need to carry a butchered and wrapped elk. I've got four 48 quart coolers. Do you think that's enough? Can hardly wait!
Old 09-25-2002, 06:06 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: Getting Ready To Head Out To Wyoming For The Opener Of Elk Season

Where ya headed in WY and with whom????
Old 09-26-2002, 12:49 PM

Roadrunner,

Good luck on your elk hunt. I hope you shoot a 450 B&C way out there and drop it with one shot. Come back safe and sound.

As to the cooler question, I am pondering that one myself as I leave the 7th of Oct for my first elk hunt, in Colorado.

I am using my 7mm mag and 120gr GS Custom HV bullets. My secondary rifle will be my 300 win mag and 180gr Ballistic Tips. I shoot off a bench while hunting cause I shake so bad. I am driving out so I can take my bench, front rest, rear bag and all my other gear.

Have a good hunt,

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2002, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

Cooler question - Figure on 200 pounds of meat when it is all butchered and wrapped although if you kill a monster it could be more. This may not answer your question, but it can depend on how it is butchered and wrapped too. If you figure it based on just being boned out and put in before frozen you should certainly be able to fit an elk in four 48 quart coolers.
I come up with 200 pounds based on the average hind quarter of a 2 1/2 yr old bull is 70 pounds fronts boned out give 60-90 pounds. After processing a lot of fat and gristle will go away and I think you would end up with about 200 pounds.
Another consideration is your cape. It will take a cooler for it if you decide that trophy is worth mounting and you decide to have it done locally.
Good luck, it looks like a banner year in Colorado. Too bad I am done with elk already because I wish I was out there again.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:57 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Don,

DO NOT use Balistic tips for Elk.. I have seen way to many Elk run and never be found using BT's use a scirroco or BTSP in 180... I won't even take a guy hunting for Elk with BT's...

just a little advice from a guy who has seen way to many wounded Elk from Nosler BT's
Old 09-26-2002, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

I'll second WyoWhisper's comments regarding the Nosler Ballistic Tips and elk.

Go with a premium even for your backup.

Regards,

~Holmes
Old 09-26-2002, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

Shaky, I too will third WyoWhisper's opinion. Also 120gr bullets seems awfully light for elk. I think, that a full-grown trophy bull elk will go about 1200-1300 lbs (somebody correct me if this is wrong). And 120gr bullet just won't do it. I don't even think I'd use a 120gr bullets on antelope. I'm sure you want a humane, quick kill. My guide tells me the minimium he allows his hunters to use on elk is a 338 Win Mag with 225gr rounds. Personally, I'll be using a HSM 750gr bore rider HP going at 2700 fps. In my Lapua I'll use a 200gr J36 going at 3280. Both of those should do the job. Hey Shaky, also how do you carry all the bench, rest, rear bag and other stuff with you on the hung?

QuietHunter - Thanks for he info on the coolers. I also hope to put an antelope in their too. I never thought about the cape question. I guess that IF I do get a monster, I'll just take it to whoever my guide recommends.