Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

getting the most out of 2,500

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,100
Re: getting the most out of 2,500

When I hear elk and long range I think 2 things. 1- big .30 cal min 2-stainless. Elk are in the mountains (most of the time) and mountains have rain. I like stainless rifles for the rain.
I also like big"ish" guns for elk (providing you can shoot them). If not for the the Long range Energy, the close range- stop that frigging bear- energy. I know it doesnt happen to most, but I have had enough encounters with grizz that I like more than the ole' trust 30-06.

I love my gun. I also like recoil alot more than most. I have a .338 RUM XCR with a 2" radial break (next one wont have porting on the bottom). I still have the factory stock, but put alot of elbow grease into it. I am buying a B+C thumbhole in the near future though.
It wears a Mark 4 leupold 4-14*50 with M1 turrets. I like the scope, but I think I will change it out for a 2.5-10*40 of some sort to reduce *bulk* (bulk bad-wieght good).
This rifle is bomb proof, and I have shot game out to 600 yards with it, and rocks/steel to 1100. I would shoot game at 1000 if the chance arose, just hasnt yet.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,566
Re: getting the most out of 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
Nobody??

Good for you on the elk, moose, deer out to 400 yds. No Problem here.

But this is Long Range Hunting. 1000 Yard shots are on the table.
Your 30-06 with a 168 A Max is down to 1150 FPE by 700 yards.
And down to 670 FPE at 1000. So you would probably want to call 600 yards the practical limit for your rifle.

I shot 30-06 team rifle at 600 yards with 150 gr ammo. So I got a clue.
Even my 7mm mag starts to fall off the table around 700 yards.

My point is if I want to kill elk at 1000 yards I will need a 338 mag especially if there is any wind at all.

Happy shooting
No it's not a "need" at 1,000yds. At 1,000yds even the 300wm will do the job and the 300 RUM will get you to 1,200 without a hitch.

I won't knock anyone who WANTS to go big but if I were going to go any bigger than the 300 RUM I'd go all the way and build a .375 Cheytac. Because I need it? No because if I was going to go for a whopper I'm going all the way.

There is nothing on the continent the 300 Rum cannot handle well and with authority at 1,000yds. Unless you are looking at full value winds in excess of 20mph there's no big difference between the two other than a few more clicks of windage adjustment. For those of you that have all the best gear including ballistics calculators and weather meters and range finders capable of accuracy and consistency shooting beyond 1,200 meters on game isn't even feasible. If you have all that like I said, it's just a few more clicks.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sw ks
Posts: 314
Re: getting the most out of 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
No it's not a "need" at 1,000yds. At 1,000yds even the 300wm will do the job and the 300 RUM will get you to 1,200 without a hitch.

I won't knock anyone who WANTS to go big but if I were going to go any bigger than the 300 RUM I'd go all the way and build a .375 Cheytac. Because I need it? No because if I was going to go for a whopper I'm going all the way.

There is nothing on the continent the 300 Rum cannot handle well and with authority at 1,000yds. Unless you are looking at full value winds in excess of 20mph there's no big difference between the two other than a few more clicks of windage adjustment. For those of you that have all the best gear including ballistics calculators and weather meters and range finders capable of accuracy and consistency shooting beyond 1,200 meters on game isn't even feasible. If you have all that like I said, it's just a few more clicks.
I agree.....but. I have used both combos to take over a hundred animals apeice. The 338 just works better at LR. Yep the 300 will do it (so will my 6-284) but when you trigger a shot at 978 yds and you hear it hit you KNOW with a 338 its a dead critter.
Heck if you shoot long range a lot why WOULDNT you go 338? Only reasons are: recoil,weight,cost..
Recoil.....Static 20+lb gun
weight......static who cares
cost.....300 gr aint that much more
Everyone likes to act like a 338 IS TOO MUCH. What does that mean? Is that like too much candy?Whiskey?Carmen Electra? How can you have too much? I would go with the 375 but the smk is getting reports I dont like on expansion.
A 338 is so far past a 300 that it might as welll be a different class of firearm. Yes a 300 will have plenty of medicine at 1k. The 338 has room at 1000. Room for a little ooopps. Ill take it all day long. And why build a 300 anyway?
ENERGY........338
WINDAGE.....338
PENETRATION....338
PERFORMANCE AT 1500....338 ONCE YOU HIT 1K 1500 WILL BE ON THE PLATE
RECOIL.....TIE
GUN WEIGHT......300
1.5 outa 6 aint bad but its a loss.
I know its radical but there would be a lot less silly (my bullet didnt work) threads if everyone recognized that the 338 is the ANSWER to 1k. Everything else is a baby gun.
Use em if you like but realize that any problems you have at 1k with a 300 you probably wouldnt have with a 338.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,022
Re: getting the most out of 2,500

Standard 338 Win Mag with either a 225grn bullet or the better 250grn bullet. Put a muzzle break on it. Have at'er. Just do lots of practicing at that distsance.
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,566
Re: getting the most out of 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
I agree.....but. I have used both combos to take over a hundred animals apeice. The 338 just works better at LR. Yep the 300 will do it (so will my 6-284) but when you trigger a shot at 978 yds and you hear it hit you KNOW with a 338 its a dead critter.
Heck if you shoot long range a lot why WOULDNT you go 338? Only reasons are: recoil,weight,cost..
Recoil.....Static 20+lb gun
weight......static who cares
cost.....300 gr aint that much more
Everyone likes to act like a 338 IS TOO MUCH. What does that mean? Is that like too much candy?Whiskey?Carmen Electra? How can you have too much? I would go with the 375 but the smk is getting reports I dont like on expansion.
A 338 is so far past a 300 that it might as welll be a different class of firearm. Yes a 300 will have plenty of medicine at 1k. The 338 has room at 1000. Room for a little ooopps. Ill take it all day long. And why build a 300 anyway?
ENERGY........338
WINDAGE.....338
PENETRATION....338
PERFORMANCE AT 1500....338 ONCE YOU HIT 1K 1500 WILL BE ON THE PLATE
RECOIL.....TIE
GUN WEIGHT......300
1.5 outa 6 aint bad but its a loss.
I know its radical but there would be a lot less silly (my bullet didnt work) threads if everyone recognized that the 338 is the ANSWER to 1k. Everything else is a baby gun.
Use em if you like but realize that any problems you have at 1k with a 300 you probably wouldnt have with a 338.
I never said it's "too much" It's just not necessary.

I've had no issues to 1,000yds or beyond with the 300 Rum, nor the 7mm STW for that matter.

If I were regularly trying to take large bears, moose, elk beyond 1,000 yds I'd go bigger, but I'm not and never will.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sw ks
Posts: 314
Re: getting the most out of 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I never said it's "too much" It's just not necessary.

I've had no issues to 1,000yds or beyond with the 300 Rum, nor the 7mm STW for that matter.

If I were regularly trying to take large bears, moose, elk beyond 1,000 yds I'd go bigger, but I'm not and never will.
I felt the same way till I got one. You would super love a 338 with your big hogs. I think youll be surprised by the 338. I was not mentally ready for the jump from the 300s. I wasnt ready to see a round do more damage than my 50BMG did. You may not need it but it sure makes life a lot easier at any range. The best and most unspoken reason for a 338 is that it is so forgiving.
Powder charge a tenth off? No big. Wind call 20% off? No prob.Gun dirty?Send it. Animal takes a step. Big hole. I know its hedonistic but the dang things work like an atom bomb on game and are easy in every aspect cep bullet cost and blast. I eat the bullets and own damn nice muffs.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-22-2012, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Posts: 2,664
Re: getting the most out of 2,500

Ive got to agree with toddc, although i dont shoot nearly as many animals as him, the big 338's are awesome. Here is an example, this season i gut shot an antelope doe at 486 yards using a 338 Lapua and 280 grain Barnes LRX she either took a step when i pulled the trigger or i pulled the shot (made a perfect double lung shot on another doe just 30 seconds earlier). The shot went about 30" back from the shoulder and about 4" above the bottom of her gut, she just stood their with her stomach and intestines hanging out of the 4" hole in her side so i shot her again this time in the neck because i corrected for a wind that wasnt there. I am not proud of the shot but i feel the sheer power of the 338 Lapua and 280 grain LRX saved my butt there.

Riley
__________________

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.93%
1,649 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.07%
612 Votes
Total Votes: 2,261
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC