Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

getting the most out of 2,500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM

getting the most out of 2,500

I need a 33 cal rifle for long range Elk hunting. I will not be packing this gun on long walks. I don't reload and at the local stores it seems that 338 rum was last place with just one box of ammo at the local sportmans warehouse they have about three choses on the weatherby 340 or 338 375. the 338 laupa had about 4 choises on ammo. I am hopping to get the best rifle and glass for around $ 2,500 that I can get. Was thinking about the Savage long range hunter in 338 Laupa with Huskama 5- 20. Any thoughts on the best bang for the buck in my price range.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: getting the most out of 2,500

Define what to you is long range, and how far this gun will be inteded for use on game, then we can narrow it down a little better.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylow View Post
I need a 33 cal rifle for long range Elk hunting. I Was thinking about the Savage long range hunter in 338 Laupa with Huskama 5- 20. Any thoughts on the best bang for the buck in my price range.
Welcome to LRH

I think you are there. Sounds like a great choice to me.

When you find this 338 and scope for sale, grab it and I'll bet you have some $$ left in your pocket from that $2500.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Define what to you is long range, and how far this gun will be inteded for use on game, then we can narrow it down a little better.
Well I would like a gun good to 1,000 yards but most likly going to limit myself to whatever range I shoot inside a 14 '' gong. LOL
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Like 4bycamper said welcome to LRH, i dont know how i missed that before.
If you want to shoot out to at least 1000 yards i would go with the Savage 110 fcp hs in 338 Lapua and leupold mark 4 scope, it will be right at or a little above $2500 but ours is scary accurate with the 280 grain Barnes LRX. We have the same combo that i suggested above. It weighs in at around 14.5 lbs loaded. Remeber, weight is your friend for long range shooting/hunting if you dont have to pack it a long ways.

The only reason i would not go with a huskama is if your conditions change from what your turret is calibrated for then you will be off and at any range beyond around 600 yards i personally wouldnt trust a system like that. If you got the G7 lrf then that changes the ball game.

I would reccomend starting to reload because 338 Lapua rounds arent cheap and with reloading you can dial in your load so you can hit a 14" steel plate at 1500 yards if the shooter is capable (no offense intended in anyway).

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Always look in the classifieds on this forum. there are some really good deals for that price or lower and still buy some really nice glass as well. Have seen several .338lm for reasonable prices. Good luck on the search and welcome.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylow View Post
I need a 33 cal rifle for long range Elk hunting. I will not be packing this gun on long walks. I don't reload and at the local stores it seems that 338 rum was last place with just one box of ammo at the local sportmans warehouse they have about three choses on the weatherby 340 or 338 375. the 338 laupa had about 4 choises on ammo. I am hopping to get the best rifle and glass for around $ 2,500 that I can get. Was thinking about the Savage long range hunter in 338 Laupa with Huskama 5- 20. Any thoughts on the best bang for the buck in my price range.
What makes you think you "need" a .338 to kill elk?

You say you want a "long range Elk Hunting rifle" but what is the actual maximum range you are capable of shooting MOA or better at? Do you have any previous experience?

You can find a hell of a lot of barely used .338's at great prices mainly because most people who get one find out very quickly they don't need it and absolutely do not enjoy shooting it.

Check Gun Broker, and the classified section here and on other shooting websites and you can find some real bargains.