Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

germany vs america

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

germany vs america

so what do you guys say. the german guns are better(sauer,merkel.blaser,mauser)?or american guns? I say germany wins hands down. . now dont get angry but answer my question properly like a real hunter german guns or US guns? sorry if l made some of you angry l didnt mean any ofense. l just would like to see some elegance in the US guns ln the future. EUROPE agreese with what l say. ohh by the way US makes great sniper rifles.but we are talking about hunting rifles
Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: germany vs america

Personally I prefer a Savage over anything. They are easy to work on with out a gun smith. They are extremely accurate out of the box. Mausers (only german type rifle I have ever used) make a great action for building with. I would have to say that Sako and Tikka is an excellent choice when it comes to hunting rifles. Winchester has been an American favorite for years. SOOOOO you can see that I am very diverse in my selection. But Savage will always be at the top. 605yards through the head of a groundhog ain't to shabby for any american rifle without modifications.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

Ok i'll bite. For me elegance has nothing to do with hunting. Accuracy, fit, and function are the things that matter to me. If you hunt in a gentlemens jacket and want to have your ph carry a piece of art for you I can respect that. I just do not see it as a better tool for the job, unless it functions and fits better and is more accurate.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

True, the German's make some fine firearms (particularly handguns), but each country has it's own niche. IMHO, the you just can't beat an american rifle or an Italian shotgun That being said, some US custom companies make some of the finest shotguns and pistols available anywhere. Just depends on what you like.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

Good thread soundwaves. Being of German descent, I'll throw in I'm with Jcoop on this. Hunting rifles are tools to me.... function is the priority. Give me a SS barreled action set in quality synthetic stock that shoots sub .5 MOA

The rifles you mention are fine rifles but what do they cost? I think if you compare quality German rifles with quality American rifles, you wont find a lot of difference and there are certainly some elegant American rifles to be had. Dakota and Cooper to name a couple.

So both German rifles and American rifles are good when compared on an even playing field.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 01-05-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwaves View Post
so what do you guys say. the german guns are better(sauer,merkel.blaser,mauser)?or american guns? I say germany wins hands down. . now dont get angry but answer my question properly like a real hunter german guns or US guns? sorry if l made some of you angry l didnt mean any ofense. l just would like to see some elegance in the US guns ln the future. EUROPE agreese with what l say. ohh by the way US makes great sniper rifles.but we are talking about hunting rifles
I'll Say this ;

For the money the US makes the best and most accurate !

All you mentioned except the Mauser are very expensive and it is almost impossible
to make them shoot worth a damn.

The old Mauser's make fine rifles if a quality barrel is screwed on them and the others are just
fancy.

If they were better you can bet that this group of long range hunters would own or build
on them for the accuracy needed.

Cost and fancy engraving has nothing to do with accuracy and that is what it takes for this
sport.

Don't get me wrong I like a beautiful rifle and even own a couple but when I get ready to do
some serious shooting I reach for my American made rifles every time.

Nuff said !!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I'll Say this ;

For the money the US makes the best and most accurate !

All you mentioned except the Mauser are very expensive and it is almost impossible
to make them shoot worth a damn.

The old Mauser's make fine rifles if a quality barrel is screwed on them and the others are just
fancy.

If they were better you can bet that this group of long range hunters would own or build
on them for the accuracy needed.

Cost and fancy engraving has nothing to do with accuracy and that is what it takes for this
sport.

Don't get me wrong I like a beautiful rifle and even own a couple but when I get ready to do
some serious shooting I reach for my American made rifles every time.

Nuff said !!!

J E CUSTOM
I agree 100% give me a remington are a savage any day of the week.