Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Gear Weight Considerations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gear Weight Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiskey View Post
My definition of hunting is similar to yours. My goal is to execute a well planned and prepped hunt on a good animal. I enjoy the idea of scouting, tracking, stalking and observation much more than taking a shot. The harvesting, I think, is just icing on the cake.

As far as my shooting goes, I have no real desire to take an animal at 1000 yds right now, but that may change if I see an exceptional animal. My shooting skills and equipment, I believe, are at the level required to make such a shot confidently and successfully. But once again, my shooting has always focused around a tactical mission, not a hunting one, so I maybe way off base in assuming this.

Regarding the weight of my rifles, I don't know how much I'll actually be moving throughout the day, but I expect a fair amount. I plan on packing: binos, LRF, kestrel, 2L water, cliff bars, small trauma kit, data book, and a K-Bar, totaling about 10-11 lbs. Does this seem right?
I would also add a pancho and pancho liner and some good way to start a fire along with at least one short, fat candle.

In a pinch a pancho and pancho liner and one candle can keep you alive in sub zero weather for a long time or keep you alive and fairly comfortable long enough for a rescue if you should find yourself injured and unable to get out on your own.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Thinking about things I take on a hunt, any hunt.....

SOP for me at least is an Adventure Medical First Aid Kit in my pack and when at home, it's in the tractor (I farm) and I have one for each of the cars too.

You never know when you might need it. The one in the pack has a space (foil reflective) blanket, waterproof matches and a candle, fits in a compact nylon pouch and weighs at most a couple ounces.

I remember reading a post on this site a while back about a fellow that packed in and hunted with a Savage 110BA .338, the one with the pistol grip and all the picatinny rails, a very heavy gun with no scope, I believe around 23 pounds with an optic attached..........and I thought to myself, I'd really hate to be carrying a 23 pound gun, especially a 23 pound long barrel as in 55" overall length in the woods, or anywhere for that matter at my age. A hunt like that would be misery for me. Some posters on here appear to like punishment from lugging tanks around, I don't.

I own a 11-111 in 338 and with a 6-24 x 50 scope and 4 rounds in the magazine it weighs just over 17 pounds, IMO, about 10 pounds or so too much to be lugging over hill and dale.... Great at the range on the bench or sitting somewhere, very accurate and lethal at extended ranges but it's not a lug-around gun. It's long too. Carrying it on your shoulder in a sling or in the Eblerstock's pouch, in the woods (here in Michigan) is an exercise in hiking hunched over and avoiding tree limbs that snag the long barrel. Not fun and this is after all, about fun and enjoyment.

It's also about survival if you should become incapacitated or injured so go prepared for any eventuality, especially if going alone. I prefer the buddy system myself. I've been injured in the woods before with only my wits and survival instinct to get out. You do what you have to do but any additional aid in the form of a partner, first aid kit or cell phone can be a godsend.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hello gents,

I am a long time long range precision shooter with absolutely no hunting experience whatsoever (my intro New Guy From Utah) and I'm looking for advice on weight considerations regarding gear. Up to this point I have had little concern for the weight of my gear and invested in durability and accuracy, so my stuff weighs a lot.

I have two options as it stands for rifles and I'm hoping your insights as to how much weight I should carry (I'm hoofing this hunt in steep terrain) as well as where the weight should be invested (where should I save/increase weight).

Rifles:

Rem 700 PSS (.308 Win)
26" barrel (braked)
B&C Police Medalist 1 stock
Harris 6-9 bipods
No scope as of yet, but I plan on a Vortex HS of some variety, probably the 2.5-10
Accuracy w/ FGMM 175: <1 MOA
Weight: 12 lbs

Surgeon 591 (6.5 Creedmoor)
26" #8
AICS 2.0 stock
Harris 6-9 bipods
Premier Heritage 5-25x56
Accuracy with factory Hornady 140: <0.5 MOA
Weight: 17.4 lbs (ouch!)

This season I will be hunting doe antelope, spike elk, and buck deer (unit 17b/c in Utah, if anyone has any advice for me...).

My natural inclination is to go with the Surgeon not just because of the accuracy advantage, but because I have more experience behind this platform and trust it thoroughly. It is, however, a porker of a rifle.

The Remington on the other hand is a satisfactory shooter by most people's standards, but I do not have as much faith in it. I have had a tendency to brake even the most expensive and rugged gear produced (2x USO scopes, HSP DBM, several Rem 700 extractors etc...), especially when the pressure is on. I have had issues with 700's going down in the past during matches which has been costly, and I don't really want to risk this happening on a hunt. It does save me quite a bit of weight though, so it maybe worth it.

What say you?

Thanks for reading,

Cory
Weight is everything! I don't know where unit 17b/c is but for years I hunted Mt. Belknap in the Fish Lake National Forest between 9,000 and 12,000 for bucks and up there ounces kick your butt if your pounding it. Don't get caught up in all the hoop-la about all the crap you need to carry your going hunting for christ sakes not to the top of Everest for a month.

In those days the rifle weighed 8.5 lbs fully loaded with the sling on the pack weighed 25-30 lbs for a 3 day hunt and I weighed 150. Today the rifle is 10.5 fully loaded and I use horses and me well let's say I'm rubbing against 200 lbs.

Take that Surgeon and go do some serious hunting in steep country and it will wise you right up. Three days of dragging that thing around and you will be done. I could see using it for the Antelope hunt and shootin way out there but between the two for mountain elk and deer it would be the 12 lb rifle.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

200... Must be packing the Coleman stove and a generator....

I agee pack animals are a good thing for those of advanced age. I'll take an ass over a horse however. After all, we ain't in any hurry......

One of my hunting comrades said one time that packing a heavy rifle for a week will cause a divorice between you and the rifle.......

They do make excellent walking sticks when traversing downhill......
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Than you all for the very helpful and thoughtful responses.

I went scouting yesterday (at least I think I did, as I am fairly ignorant of what to look for) with my Surgeon and decided, as has been suggested, that it is just too heavy. This decision came after considering how slow and difficult it would be for me to quickly acquire a target at close range and engage it effectively while in thick cover. Exactly what makes the gun surgical for what it was designed for would make it a cumbersome and inaccurate in the situation described above.

After much thought I am toying with the idea getting rid of my PSS .308, as I don't often shoot it, and picking up a more hunting specific rifle. I am sure the "pick a rifle for me" game has been played out on this forum ad nauseam, but I have some special issues to take into account: I don't want to get into too much detail, but in 2006 I received shrapnel in my right arm and shoulder from an explosion as well as traumatic brain injury (not to be confused with PTSD) which lead to my subsequent medical retirement.

I have recovered quite well from both injuries, but I am still somewhat sensitive to loud concussive noises as well as sharp impacts to my shoulder (recoil for instance). A magnum caliber rifle used to be out of the question, but I think if I have a nice butt pad and don't shoot it too often, I could potentially use it for hunting. I am a fan of the ballistics of 7mm projectiles, and from what I understand they can provide ample kinetic energy to put down big game at distance if shot placement is good.

Rifles I'm interested in:

Howa 1500 7mm Rem mag fluted (I'll drop it in a light B&C stock)
TC Venture 7mm Rem mag (it's light, feels good, and has a 60 degree bolt throw)
Savage long range hunter 7mm Rem mag (I really like the idea of the factory muzzle brake)

Does anyone have experience with these rifles that they would like to share, or have suggestions on alternatives?

3/7 Scout Sniper Platoon 2006-2007
Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I went scouting yesterday (at least I think I did, as I am fairly ignorant of what to look for) with my Surgeon and decided, as has been suggested, that it is just too heavy. This decision came after considering how slow and difficult it would be for me to quickly acquire a target at close range and engage it effectively while in thick cover. Exactly what makes the gun surgical for what it was designed for would make it a cumbersome and inaccurate in the situation described above.

After much thought I am toying with the idea getting rid of my PSS .308, as I don't often shoot it, and picking up a more hunting specific rifle. I am sure the "pick a rifle for me" game has been played out on this forum ad nauseam, but I have some special issues to take into account: I don't want to get into too much detail, but in 2006 I received shrapnel in my right arm and shoulder from an explosion as well as traumatic brain injury (not to be confused with PTSD) which lead to my subsequent medical retirement.

I have recovered quite well from both injuries, but I am still somewhat sensitive to loud concussive noises as well as sharp impacts to my shoulder (recoil for instance). A magnum caliber rifle used to be out of the question, but I think if I have a nice butt pad and don't shoot it too often, I could potentially use it for hunting. I am a fan of the ballistics of 7mm projectiles, and from what I understand they can provide ample kinetic energy to put down big game at distance if shot placement is good.

Savage long range hunter 7mm Rem mag (I really like the idea of the factory muzzle brake)

Does anyone have experience with these rifles that they would like to share, or have suggestions on alternatives?
We share some of the same issues from the same causes.

That being said, I'd toss in the 7mm STW and .300WM for consideration as well.

Recoil just isn't a problem with a decent muzzle brake like the Gentry Quiet brake (greatly reduces blast/sound for the shooter) and a Decellerator or Simm's recoil pad.

Either of those will give you all you need ballisticaly to take pretty much anything in North America.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I have a Savage LRH Hunter in a6.5x284. It's a very accurate shooter producing .25 MOA at 500 yards with handloads. and has little recoil with the brake. Also like the Kardsten cheek rest.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt