Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

G'day to all (new member)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: G\'day to all (new member)

Take the Sako varminter and just pillar bed it. No need to go to another stock actually. It will do what you want but be wood stock.

Border barrels are very good and if they are cheaper and more easily obtainable, I would not hesitate to go with them.

The Reminton Sendoro guns particularily in magnums are prone to shifting in the bedding blocks unless skim bedded. Easy to true up the rcver, pin a heavy recoil lug and lap lugs for under $200 (again no visible work), recrown (reblue crown) and most will shoot 3/4" or better with a little work. Put a Holland oversize and lightened firing pin system in it ($60) and try it.

Agree on the Rem autos they were noted for shooting nice "patterns" instead of groups and zero reliability. Rem also likes to put forend pressure points on the Model 7 and Mtn Rifles, if taken out and bedded they normally do much better. Particularily in the wet european environment.

Good luck

where are you at in Italy? You are crazy if you do not go to the Beretta factory in Brescia and get a couple custom made Berettas to bring back with you. When I was there, they would do that for really low price.

BH
Old 06-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

I live in Italy, and most likely will do for some years yet.

Unfortunatly I don't have much desire to get myself a high class 12ga, I havn't fired a 12ga for over a year.(maybe 2?)

You are also right that I couldn't go wrong with the 75 pillar bedded and the cleaned up for a little extra accuracy.
I just REALLY NEED the McMillan stock
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I need to find out if the McMillan stock, once inletted locally by hand will accept the M75 action, it might be too deep or shallow leaving part of the action sticking out or out of sight in the wall of the stock.

If it will house the action I I won't bother going any further. If not, I need to build my own rifle, which as much as I know I will regret it once the problems start, is really a very cool idea, putting together my own rifle...

I already have a 75 varminter in 6PPc that has been pillar bedded, the trigger worked, just some basic stuff and it will shoot .2MOA on a good day.
I guess I was lucky in getting a particularly good barrel and chamber?
Old 06-28-2003, 11:53 PM

EXPRESS,

Welcome to the "Best" long range hunting forum there is. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There are many fine people on this forum that can and will help out wherever they can. I sure enjoy being a guest here. I have had the opportunity to meet some of the people off this forum and even shot and hunted with several.

Just one word of warning, take it easy on my "Junky" Remingtons [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I recently had the opportunity to check out a Sako rifle, closely. My next long range rig will more then likely wear a sako action. All I have to do is figure out how to change the safety knob to that of a Remington. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Shaky you're probably right about the safety on the Sako, it's nothing special...
Old 06-30-2003, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Welcome Express..............Wow!! Italy makes it tough to own a rifle and customize it.............Hope that never happens here.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:25 AM
Bronze Member

Express,
Enough with your plans for a new rig . . . you've clearly got it all covered! I'm dying to hear about what it is you're gonna be hunting in Italy! Also, could you get such a rifle into any North African nations from Italy? If so, what about game therein? Aoudad, for instance, would be available to you in Morocco if you could get your rifle in there. We have these beasts here in Texas now and they're pretty coveted game animals seein' as how they're more elusive than whitetail.

Regards,
Dave